Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L-#1: Presentation of Bills Act
[quote name="L-#1]

<strong class='bbc'>Preamble</strong>

This bill is to clarify the manner in which a bill may be written, and how the bills should be named.

<strong class='bbc'>Article I: Bills</strong>

Clause I: The title must be a descriptor of what the bill is intended to do. The title must be politically neutral, although it may refer to a region in it.

Section A: If the Chair of the Assembly finds the title of the bill to not be politically neutral, the Chair may edit the title of the bill.

Clause II: The bill must be divided into the following parts: preamble, articles, clauses, sections, amendments, repeals.

Section A: Preamble describes briefly what the bill sponsor hopes to achieve with the bill being proposed.

Section B: Articles are the main sections of the bill.

Section C: Clauses contain the proposals within each Article, divided up by context.

Section D: Sections clarify points proposed by the clauses.

Section E: The Chair of the Assembly may edit the bill to fit into this format.

Clause III: All bill sponsors must have regard to previous legislation and add amendments and repeals as and when necessary.

Section A: If this clause is not followed, the Chair of the Assembly may amend the bill to take account of this clause and/or the bill may be ruled as out of order.

<strong class='bbc'>Article II: Amendments</strong>

Clause I: Amendments must be presented in such a way as to make it clear as to which bill and to which clause it refers.

Clause II: The bill sponsor must present the current wording of the bill to be amended and present the proposed changes to the bill.

Section A: Proposed changes to sections of current bills must be in bold.

Section B: The Chair of the Assembly may edit the amendment to insert bold tags around the proposed changes in the amended version of the bill being proposed.

<strong class='bbc'>Article III: Repeals</strong>

Clause I: If a bill supersedes a previous bill, it must be stated that the previous bill is to be repealed.

Clause II: If the bill is a straight repeal, the repeal must be divided as follows: Intent of the bill to repeal a previous law followed by the text of the law to be repealed.

Section A: A straight repeal is defined as an repeal that is not within a bill.

<strong class='bbc'>Article IV: Naming of Bills</strong>

Clause I: All bills passed by the Assembly will have a Capital Letter and a number for a prefix.

Clause II: All bills must have a name which can be comprehended by an English language speaker.

Clause III: The Chair of the Assembly will be responsible for deciding which letter best fits a bill.

Section A: 'F' will be designated for Finance bills.

Section B: 'D' will be designated for Defence and Regional Security bills.

Section C: 'P' will be designated for Public Services such as Health and Education.

Section D: 'J' will be designated for Justice bills.

Section E: 'R' will be designated for Foreign Affairs bills.

Section F: 'L' will be designated for bills affecting procedure in the Assembly.

Section G: 'G' will be designated for any other bill which doesn't fit into the above categories.

Clause IV: The Chair of the Assembly will assign the prefix number to the proposed bill.

Section A: All prefixes for each category will start with the number '1', and will increment by '1' for each additional bill in that category.

Section B: The number assigned by the Chair of the Assembly doesn't necessarily have to follow the chronological order in which the bill was passed.

Section C: The number may not be re-assigned, even if a previous bill with the same prefix number has been repealed.

Clause V: Any previously passed bills may be edited by the Chair of the Assembly to fit this format, as long as there are no changes to the actual content of the bill.

[/quote]

Firstly, I'd like to give credit to the citizens of Liberalia for authoring the original bill, and Lichentia for authoring the amendment in Article IV to include the Letter-Number system. If I made any contextual mistakes importing the bill, please let me know.

I think you can see from this bill which format I'm trying to standardize. I recently read over all of the current bills on the books here, and to me at least, they seem hard to read and sort through quickly.
Very nice, and all quite logical.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
Quote:Very nice, and all quite logical.
Very, we went through many stages to get something that worked great.
Will amended bills get a new number? If not, I would suggest they will, to easier distinguish between old and new versions.Also, I'm thinking that the lettering system might lead to more confusion than clarity. I mean, we have only a handful of laws and a few treaties. So if each law has its own letter designation, then the categories are a bit superfluous. (You see the same happening in music: to the uninitiated band A and B may sound pretty similar, but the fans will insist that A is funky post-modern soul rock and B is groovy post-modern soul rock).I can imagine that a consecutive numbering might be of merit. Finally I'm a bit confused, I think that what you call articles, I've most commonly seen called sections, that your clauses are articles and your sections are clauses... :unsure:
so G would be more the General type of bill, but what would that cover?I do like the set up....wanna get to work on straightening out the Charter :evil: Yea I had to do it Tongue Tsrill I think the letter will only be used as a type of category designation, it might actually help in the wind up to get people to take a look at the existing laws instead of running amok saying that we need to "change" this or "approve" that when it is already there in the Charter.just a thought, but I do understand what you are saying.
I'm back...your nightmare returns.

My one and only minion, so far, Rebel-topia.

Quote:Will amended bills get a new number? If not, I would suggest they will, to easier distinguish between old and new versions.
The old one would be off the books, but I'm sure the chair wouldn't mind doing that.

Quote:Also, I'm thinking that the lettering system might lead to more confusion than clarity. I mean, we have only a handful of laws and a few treaties. So if each law has its own letter designation, then the categories are a bit superfluous. (You see the same happening in music: to the uninitiated band A and B may sound pretty similar, but the fans will insist that A is funky post-modern soul rock and B is groovy post-modern soul rock).
There is room to expand the law book for sure. The chair would have to decide which letter is appropriate if the bill covers more than one category.

Quote:Finally I'm a bit confused, I think that what you call articles, I've most commonly seen called sections, that your clauses are articles and your sections are clauses... unsure.gif
I don't know, it's the way I've always done it. US law seems to go Title-Section-a bunch of numbered bullet points. I don't think it matters much what we use, as long as the standard is consistent.

Quote:so G would be more the General type of bill, but what would that cover?
Anything that doesn't fit nicely in the other categories. If a new category is needed, then this bill could be amended to include it. In the meantime though, the Chair would need to have a 'placeholder' letter to use.
Just saying this also makes Indexing soo much easier.

I have seen law books so cluttered it's insane.

Here I'll give you a link to Liberalia's so you can get an idea of the index in relation to the system: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://z7.invisionfree.com/Liberalia/index.php?showforum=219'>http://z7.invisionfree.com/Liberalia/index.php?showforum=219</a>

Registration to the forum is not necessary to see this, but if ya'll want to stop by anyways you can.
Oh yes, this is very interesting! I adore it!Oh, and LR, I am guessing General (G) means anything that isn't covered by the other letters. B)
I like it!