Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delegate Election Reform Bill
<strong class='bbc'>Article I: Regulations on Candidates</strong>

The following regulations are placed on Candidates for the Office of Delegate in the South Pacific in order to assure the nations credibility and dedication to the South Pacific.

[*:xm7ts830]Any nation wishing to seek the Delegacy of the South Pacific must meet the following conditions:

[*:xm7ts830]Must have been a registered member of the off-site forums of the South Pacific for a period no less than three months before announcing their intentions.

[*:xm7ts830]Must have had their World Assembly nation resident in the South Pacific or be in service to the South Pacific Army for a period no less then 30 days.

[*:xm7ts830]Must have at least surpassed a total of 50% of the delegate's endorsement totals, defined as the Endorsement Threshold.[/list]
<strong class='bbc'>Article II: Endorsement Threshold</strong>

[*:xm7ts830]The Endorsement Threshold shall be 50% of the Delegates Endorsement at any given time.

[*:xm7ts830]If a nation surpasses the Endorsement Threshold they must make a statement of intent to run for the position of Delegate on the South Pacific's off-site forums in the proper sub-forum entitled "Brave Little Toaster".

[*:xm7ts830]Once the Declaration of Intent is made a nation is considered a Challenger for the Office of Delegate and may not gather any more then 70% of the Delegates total endorsements.

[*:xm7ts830]If a nation surpasses the 50% threshold and does not declare intent within 48 hours of doing so they will be considered an Enemy of the State and the following provisions shall be set in place by the Delegate.

[*:xm7ts830]The nation will be banned from the South Pacific for no more than one update period.

[*:xm7ts830]The nation will be added to the list of offenders of this policy as kept by the Minister of Justice.

[*:xm7ts830]Any nation expelled three times for breaching the 50% Threshold without posting a Statement of Intent may upon a majority vote by the Assembly of the South Pacific be permanently expelled from the region.[/list]
<strong class='bbc'>Article III: Statement of Intent and Election Process</strong>

[*:xm7ts830]Nations must issue a Statement of Intent to run for the office of Delegate within 48 hours of crossing the Endorsement Threshold.

[*:xm7ts830]The Delegate of Minister of Security may inform the nation they have crossed the Threshold and direct them to this law within the 48 hour window and may extend this window by 24 hours.

[*:xm7ts830]Once a Statement of Intent is declared the election process begins.

[*:xm7ts830]The election process shall consist of one week of debates and one week of voting on the off-site forums of the South Pacific and be governed by the Election Commission.

[*:xm7ts830]During the first 72 hours of debate and immediately after a statement of intent is received the Election Commission shall accept nominations for the Office of Delegate.

[*:xm7ts830]Candidates must meet the requirements as described in Article I of this bill.

[*:xm7ts830]The winning candidate may not be challenged for a period of at least 45 days after the elections.

[*:xm7ts830]If the Delegate should resign the election process as laid out in the Charter will be followed.

[*:xm7ts830]In the event the Delegate cannot continue serving until a replacement is elected the most senior Vice Delegate shall assume the office of the Delegacy.

[*:xm7ts830]The procedures as laid out for recall in the Charter apply to the Delegate seat. If the Delegate is recalled the procedures as laid out in the Charter for elections will be followed.

[*:xm7ts830]In the event of recall, the most senior Vice Delegate shall assume the office of the Delegacy until a replacement can be elected.[/list]
<strong class='bbc'>Article IV: Martial Law</strong>

[*:xm7ts830]The Cabinet of the South Pacific may by a vote of 3/4 may issue a state of Martial Law that may last no longer then 30 days without an extension.

[*:xm7ts830]Only the Assembly of the South Pacific may issue an extension to Martial Law by normal Assembly Voting Procedures.

[*:xm7ts830]During a state of Martial Law no nation may challenge for the Office of Delegate.

[*:xm7ts830]Martial Law may not be declared once a Statement of Intent is received.

[*:xm7ts830]Martial Law may be declared for security reasons which must be stated in the announcement delivered by the Delegate.

[*:xm7ts830]The Delegate must inform all nations that Martial Law has been enforced by issuing a statement on the off-site forums and placing a notice in the World Factbook Entry of the Region.[/list]
<strong class='bbc'>Article V: Vice Delegacy</strong>

[*:xm7ts830]It is the responsibility of the Delegate with approval of the Candidate to propose Vice Delegate Nominations to the Assembly of The South Pacific. There will be 7 day public hearing in regards to the proposed nominees held in the Assembly.

[*:xm7ts830]Followed by the 7 day period a vote in accordance to the procedures of the Assembly will be held in which a 75% majority will be required for the nominee(s) to be accepted as Vice Delegate.

<strong class='bbc'>Article VI: Amendments</strong>

[*:xm7ts830]Article 9 of the Charter of the South Pacific shall be amended as follows:

[*:xm7ts830]Elections will be run by the Election Commission which is led by a Chairperson and two commissioners.

[*:xm7ts830]Procedures for Delegate Elections shall be placed in law by the Assembly.

[*:xm7ts830]The Cabinet term shall begin on the first of every January, May, and September.

[*:xm7ts830]When an office becomes vacant special elections must start within 7 days of the office being vacant.

[*:xm7ts830]All elections, save the Delegate, shall have a nomination period lasting five days followed by a campaigning period lasting three days. The voting period will begin immediately after the conclusion of the campaigning period and shall last no more than five days.

[*:xm7ts830]Candidates may only run for and hold one elected office at any given time.

[*:xm7ts830]If only one candidate is eligible to be voted upon in the elections then a "Re-Open Nominations" option will be given as an alternative to voting for that candidate, and if it receives more votes than the candidate then the election process previously stated starts again immediately.

[*:xm7ts830]If no candidate runs for an office the Delegate will have the responsibility of appointing someone to fill the office in question.

[*:xm7ts830]The Assembly may recall any elected official after deliberation for a minimum of three days with a vote in accordance with normal Assembly procedures with at least four-fifths of the votes cast being in agreement.

<strong class='bbc'>Article VII: Repeals:</strong>

[*:xm7ts830]The Law of Succession / Martial Law shall be repealed from the book of The South Pacific Law, and all references to it in other documents amended.

[*:xm7ts830]The Vice Delegate Law shall be repealed by this bill.

[*:xm7ts830]The Delegacy of TSP and Endorsement shall be repealed by this bill, and all references to it shall be amended.
Okay so what this bill does is revert our elections back to a Brave Little Toaster Challenge system but keeps the voting on these forums instead of being on-site. This also establishes procedures for "Martial Law"
*Ponders*
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
I think there needs to be some sort of limit. Something like 2 cabinet terms, or if theres a confirmation vote with every cabinet election, and a unconfirm vote leads to a nomination period or something... There needs to be some balance to how long a delegate can serve without being challenged... And how would elections run if the Delegate resigns?
The Confederation of Rebel-topian Nations

[spoiler="Positions - Past and Present"]

Forum Administrator

TSP Chair of the Assembly (12/13 - Present)

TSP's Craziest (12/12 - 3/13 -- 8/13 - Present)
Former Vice Delegate under Belschaft (8/13 - 12/13)

Former General in the NSA (5/13 - 8/13)

Former Minister of Security in TSP (9/12 - 12/12)

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in TSP (5/12 - 9/12)

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="CRN Member Nations"]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]
Farengeto is my new best friend!!!!

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Adding something in about resigning is a good idea. I don't like term limits on any position and never have.
Agreed and agreed.

TSP Deputy Minister Of Foreign Affairs (DoFA)

TSP Ambassador To The East Pacific

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

TSP Ambassador To The Rejected Realms

Europeian Citizens' Assembly Associate Member

Do you want somebody murdered?

(Then don't call GE's General Services
)

But, for any other job, dial
HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

[Image: 20QJ0.png]

Maybe that wasnt the right wording... Not so much term limit, but some way to unseat the delegate if the region thinks hes not doing a good job. There needs to be a checks and balances to the position.

Forum Administrator

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Quote:Maybe that wasnt the right wording... Not so much term limit, but some way to unseat the delegate if the region thinks hes not doing a good job. There needs to be a checks and balances to the position.
The standard recall procedures would still be in force for the Delegate position as well ass any other elected official.
Ha...Ass.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="All the Kings Men of Rebel-topia">Maybe that wasnt the right wording... Not so much term limit, but some way to unseat the delegate if the region thinks hes not doing a good job. There needs to be a checks and balances to the position.
The standard recall procedures would still be in force for the Delegate position as well ass any other elected official.
</blockquote>I think that needs to be stated, though, as the point of the bill is to say that delegate elections do not follow normal procedure.

Forum Administrator

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Hileville"><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="All the Kings Men of Rebel-topia">Maybe that wasnt the right wording... Not so much term limit, but some way to unseat the delegate if the region thinks hes not doing a good job. There needs to be a checks and balances to the position.
</blockquote>I think that needs to be stated, though, as the point of the bill is to say that delegate elections do not follow normal procedure.
</blockquote>Added to the election part of the bill.
:thumb:

Forum Administrator

Vote?

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

I might have missed this but i am a wee bit concerned about the fact that anyone with enough endos can challenge the Del for the position. i know it can happen now but get the wrong crazy in the seat and everything is doomed. and the 45 day thing, it worries me as well becuase this means that theoretically we could have a new Del every 2 months and that isn't a good thing. I know you don't like limits Hile but this worries me a bit sorry Undecided
I dunno what everyone else is playin', but that's the mechanics of the game. Right now, we can theoretically have a new delegate every three months or less, but we've still had the same delegate for ten.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Quote:I might have missed this but i am a wee bit concerned about the fact that anyone with enough endos can challenge the Del for the position. i know it can happen now but get the wrong crazy in the seat and everything is doomed. and the 45 day thing, it worries me as well becuase this means that theoretically we could have a new Del every 2 months and that isn't a good thing. I know you don't like limits Hile but this worries me a bit sorry Undecided
That is why the vote for Delegate is going to remain on the forums instead of going back to the old way of strictly endorsements.
Pen... Also, thats where this comes in...
Quote:Must have been a registered member of the off-site forums of the South Pacific for a period no less than three months before announcing their intentions.

Forum Administrator

Any other questions or concerns about this?If not I move for a vote.
Second.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

If Bel doesn't come around soon to put this to a vote I will.
hmmmm....
I havent seen or heard much of him since elections...

Forum Administrator

So how is this going to work?
Quote:"I always liked how The South Pacific was the only feeder before the North Pacific to include its off-forum citizens in voting -- if you guys would like something similar to the script that Solm and I built for Elu to collect ballots in the North Pacific, we would be happy to provide it and set it up for you. Just as an option to consider."

Uni asked me to post this...

Forum Administrator

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Unibot">"I always liked how The South Pacific was the only feeder before the North Pacific to include its off-forum citizens in voting -- if you guys would like something similar to the script that Solm and I built for Elu to collect ballots in the North Pacific, we would be happy to provide it and set it up for you. Just as an option to consider."

Uni asked me to post this...
</blockquote>I think there would need to be some testing in order for our usage of this system in TSP. And also Unibot needs to reapply for citizenship. Tongue

We can still use this method and adapt it to a challenge system like what is proposed here. It would just take a little more creative planning as far as the election goes. I will get in touch with Uni about this.