Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PASSED: Repeal "Dignified End of Life Choices"
Repeal "Dignified End of Life Choices"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.
Category: Repeal | Resolution: GA#54 | Proposed by: [nation]The Dourian Embassy[/nation]

The World Assembly,

Understanding that "Dignified End of Life Choices"(GA#54) attempts to provide euthanasia services to those who might reasonably seek them,

Realizing that Clause 5 reads: "This resolution shall not preclude a nation from enacting an assisted suicide law that is less or more restrictive than this resolution, so long as said law complies with Sections 4 (D) and 4 (E)",

Regretting that Clause 5 negates the bulk of the protections provided in the preceding clauses of GA#54, which opens up a whole host of concerns, which include:

* The patient in question will not be required to actually request the administration of lethal drugs,
* There is no need to ensure that a patient's request is voluntary, and
* Patients may be forbidden from rescinding a request for the administration of lethal drugs prior to their administration,

Believing that patients seeking euthanasia should be accorded greater protections than those accorded by this flawed resolution,

Encouraging the World Assembly to consider additional legislation on this subject,

Hereby repeals "Dignified End of Life Choices"(GA#54).

Co-authored by [nation]Mousebumples[/nation].

Forum thread: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic....9&t=273980
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." – Galileo Galilei
This is a repeal of Dignified End of Life Choices, which (sort of) legalized euthanasia in all member nations.

The repeal makes solid arguments against the target resolution whether you support or oppose euthanasia. If the latter, you should support this repeal because, well, you oppose euthanasia. If the former, you should support this repeal because the target resolution essentially does nothing; clause 5 of the target resolution states that "this resolution shall not preclude a nation from enacting an assisted suicide law that is less or more restrictive than this resolution..."

Accordingly, I recommend a vote FOR

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." – Galileo Galilei
I will be voting FOR
the repeal, though for the reasons listed in the text rather than on account of my nation's position on euthanasia.

For those interested, there is a "replacement", albeit a more sovereignty-friendly version, being mooted; one draft can be found in the Drafts subforum.

Vibrant Coconuts

WA Advisor to the The South Pacific

Also known as Gruenberg
, Quintessence of Dust
and The Dark Star Republic

for

I will vote for, but my nation is against euthanasia.

​The New Covenant:

[nation]The Sanghelios Legion[/nation], [nation]The Jiralhanea[/nation], [nation]The Kigyar[/nation], and [nation]The Shan Shyuumm[/nation]

Minister of Regional Affairs (Mar 7, 2014-Present)

Deputy Minister of Regional Affairs (Dec 15 2013-Mar 7, 2014)

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs (Jan 13, 2014-Feb 3, 2014)