Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Events and timing
As some of you might know, I have been tracking the size of TSP in the past years:
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://trevon.net/thesp/TSPpopulation.csv'>http://trevon.net/thesp/TSPpopulation.csv</a>. If we take this as a measure for activity levels, we can conclude two things:
- Activity has declined steadily during the past two years (not only here but throughout nationstates)
- There are peaks and dips in the course of the year (of course we already knew that, too)

I think we could make use of these fluctuations by timing our elections and other events.
We see that the peaks in activity levels are in September, December and April, with a minor peak in February. The lows are in January and July/August, with a minor low in November.

High activity levels usually come with new players. To keep these new players, we should offer them something. So I say we should have major events at the beginning of these activity periods. Not only does it give a boost to the participation in events, it also shows how cool we are to all these active new players. Then, one-and-a-half month later (approximately) we should have elections, so that the new players that are settled in get a chance to run for government (or make themselves useful in other ways). With events I mean something like the SPAA or Independence day festival.

This would probably boil down to the following schedule: big event in the second week of september; elections in october. This is our current election schedule anyway.
december/january is tricky. The peak is just before the holiday season (second/third week of december), but it's tugged in between some pretty strong lows. January is actually a pretty bad timing for elections, but maybe we could have some christmas/holiday season related events in december, and hope to raise activity levels in january a bit...

The next event should be done in late february, with elections in April.

One could argue whether the summer elections (as we have now) are even necessary... We could have our independence day festival in the first week of July (which we did nothing with this year Sad ) and hope that we can keep interest levels up till elections later that month...

In short: our current election timing is actually pretty good, if we can do something with the peaks in the activity levels by actually doing stuff around those times. Especially September-October and Februari-April having a lot of potential, while December/January and July will remain tricky.

After discussing this with some people, it was suggested that maybe we can have some belated independence day festival in september, after all it's been 5 years and all that. Which means that we should start organizing NOW.

Any suggestions for activities?

A second thing I thought is that we need some point-and-click activities throughout the year. With "point-and-click" I mean something like the poll of the week: people get entertained but don't have to think hard to create original content. I have made the observation that the more mindless a web activity is, the more popular it is. All I can think of is putting some simple javascript games on the board, but I'm not too sure which and what... Also, if people have ideas for poll-of-the-week questions, by all means, let me know.

Third, I thought maybe we can have a weekly theme on the message board (perhaps every friday?). I mentioned a poetry marathon before, but we could do other message board games such as a post A-B-C (the next post should start with the next letter of the alphabet), maybe a kind of telephone game, ascii-art marathon, whatever.
Quote:Not only does it give a boost to the participation in events, it also shows how cool we are to all these active new players.
I agree, but I'd rather show them how hot I am.

Quote:Then, one-and-a-half month later (approximately) we should have elections, so that the new players that are settled in get a chance to run for government (or make themselves useful in other ways). With events I mean something like the SPAA or Independence day festival.
plus role plays, if you like. or we start some more fun spam threads.

Quote:This would probably boil down to the following schedule: big event in the second week of september;
I have a great idea; why don't we make my birthday a big event!! B) It comes in the first few days of September, y'know...

Quote:elections in october. This is our current election schedule anyway.
Sadly, I'm busy during those days.... Sad

Quote:december/january is tricky. The peak is just before the holiday season (second/third week of december), but it's tugged in between some pretty strong lows. January is actually a pretty bad timing for elections, but maybe we could have some christmas/holiday season related events in december, and hope to raise activity levels in january a bit...
Yes, why don't we have a subforum of sorts for whatever TSP is celebrating... for example, we can open a subforum for whatever Christmas thing we'll be having... (exchange gifts? Party?) Then we would close/archive it and open another one for let's say, valentine's day (blind date galore?).

Quote:After discussing this with some people, it was suggested that maybe we can have some belated independence day festival in september, after all it's been 5 years and all that. Which means that we should start organizing NOW.

Any suggestions for activities?
I will think of something... yes...

Quote:A second thing I thought is that we need some point-and-click activities throughout the year. With "point-and-click" I mean something like the poll of the week: people get entertained but don't have to think hard to create original content. I have made the observation that the more mindless a web activity is, the more popular it is. All I can think of is putting some simple javascript games on the board, but I'm not too sure which and what... Also, if people have ideas for poll-of-the-week questions, by all means, let me know.
spam threads?
Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
Quote:I agree, but I'd rather show them how hot I am.
If that helps to keep them here... Tongue

Quote:plus role plays, if you like.
Sure, roleplays can be part of that. SPAA are usually presented in "roleplay" fashion. The roleplays for event purposes should be limited in time, though, something like this "beauty pageant" that you had in the past. A problem with the roleplays here is that the player base seems to be rather small...
Quote:I have a great idea; why don't we make my birthday a big event!! cool.gif It comes in the first few days of September, y'know...
Why don't you roleplay a birthday party event? Wink

Quote:Yes, why don't we have a subforum of sorts for whatever TSP is celebrating... for example, we can open a subforum for whatever Christmas thing we'll be having... (exchange gifts? Party?) Then we would close/archive it and open another one for let's say, valentine's day (blind date galore?).
We usually do it that way.

Quote:Sadly, I'm busy during those days....
So why don't you run for a position now? Wink

Quote:or we start some more fun spam threads.
Quote:spam threads?
The spam threads serve their purpose in keeping interest, yes. We have already plenty of those, but if you want to start a new one or revive an old one, go ahead.

Would anyone be interested in a javascript game as permament feature of the forum? I have for example a tic tac toe script lying around somewhere.
I'm a bit pressed for time, but I will respond here. I think these are good ideas, Tsrill.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable