Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we want to have an army?
Quote:I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure if we can realistically maintain an active update force: it's been tried before and we've had little success, and I don't see us considering anything that we haven't experimented with before. We honestly don't have the resources to maintain an active update force and therefore I think we should have a force that regularly stays in TSP, but the force could be deployed abroad as a massive piling force. Regions like Gatesville have been very influential and successful with piling forces in the past, and I think that establishing an army focused on internal defense and piling abroad could be a worthwhile endeavor.

As for our name, we should definitely use "the South Pacific People's Liberation Army."

No on the name.

Also I disagree.  I think even when Sheepa led the SPA we didn't really try to get an updater force.  The missions that we conducted was with a few key people and then we recruiter pilers.  I believe we need to actually attempt to recruit an updater army before just putting off as no we can't do it.
Quote:No on the name.

Also I disagree.  I think even when Sheepa led the SPA we didn't really try to get an updater force.  The missions that we conducted was with a few key people and then we recruiter pilers.  I believe we need to actually attempt to recruit an updater army before just putting off as no we can't do it.
It's a most glorious and revolutionary name. :milo:

I recall that we tried to get an updater force but that it didn't work out due to the number of people we have regularly active here and the diversity in where we're all from. It's not really memorable because it simply didn't work out. We gave up on it because it wasn't working, and resorted to becoming a more occasional force, and that also didn't work out in the long run. Even if we assume that we can train updaters, we don't have enough people to make a sizable impact right now, and a fraction of those people can't or won't regularly visit IRC: it also doesn't help the best soldiers here largely have immobile WAs. A piling force would be easier to maintain and I feel that it could allow us to project power on a massive scale.
Quote:It's a most glorious and revolutionary name. :milo:

I recall that we tried to get an updater force but that it didn't work out due to the number of people we have regularly active here and the diversity in where we're all from. It's not really memorable because it simply didn't work out. We gave up on it because it wasn't working, and resorted to becoming a more occasional force, and that also didn't work out in the long run. Even if we assume that we can train updaters, we don't have enough people to make a sizable impact right now, and a fraction of those people can't or won't regularly visit IRC: it also doesn't help the best soldiers here largely have immobile WAs. A piling force would be easier to maintain and I feel that it could allow us to project power on a massive scale.

Seeing as how this is my first term as MoS and based on the majority of posts in this thread we clearly have an interest in an active miltary outside of the region, I would like to be given some time to see what works.
I need time to work out what and where the military in TSP is going to go before we write it off.
If anything, by creating an in region militia would almost certainly kill interest in military gameplay. I find the idea pointless and boring
I don't think you understand what I'm proposing. I'll explain it on IRC.
I like the name SPA Tongue I don't think it was a total failure. Australia. Cough.

I'd be up for an active updater force. Plus there's my commonwealth idea to work on...
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
Quote:I don't think you understand what I'm proposing. I'll explain it on IRC.

I think you are right as DM isn't understanding exactly what it is you are suggesting but I honestly don't believe we will be able to keep people interested with a piler force either.
Though piling is doable, it's less fun.
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
I understand more now after our discussion but I still don't think the idea is plausible.

Keeping people interested in that will be a lot harder than an update force. Many TSP members already have activity in other military gameplay that they enjoy
I think that's an asset, not a hindrance.  Ya can coordinate piles without updaters.

TSP Deputy Minister Of Foreign Affairs (DoFA)

TSP Ambassador To The East Pacific

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

TSP Ambassador To The Rejected Realms

Europeian Citizens' Assembly Associate Member

Do you want somebody murdered?

(Then don't call GE's General Services
)

But, for any other job, dial
HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

[Image: 20QJ0.png]

GE is correct. There is no reason that we can't pursue both.
Agreed. 

TSP Deputy Minister Of Foreign Affairs (DoFA)

TSP Ambassador To The East Pacific

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

TSP Ambassador To The Rejected Realms

Europeian Citizens' Assembly Associate Member

Do you want somebody murdered?

(Then don't call GE's General Services
)

But, for any other job, dial
HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

[Image: 20QJ0.png]

How neutral would an army that mainly piles be? I don't think very neutral, but I suppose we could try it...

At any rate, I can update. I really agree with DM here too, it seems a bit early to give up on the notion that we could have at least a small updater force as long as I'm asked at least a day ahead will gladly make myself available (as I said, if I've already committed to another org, I'm not going to break that. But I'll choose an SPA op over anything else, just let me know far enough ahead to pretend I'm offline to the FRA). Tongue
Been a while since I posted here and see we still haven't fully decided what the army will do. Good to see there is a fair bit of interest in it though. Dunno if it has been mentioned, but maybe we try a mercenary style army - help out whoever makes a good offer, be that advertising the region or army, alliances, accounts joining TSP, or anything else people come up with that appeals. With a reasonably large member base (potentially anyway), I can see having us help out be fairly attractive, and we should get some good deals. It's still neutral and should help out our region.Yes, my nation is one of the most corrupt in the region, might be why this appeals, but I'm interested to see if there is any interest in something like this (probably not).
I am all for trying things that help us promote TSP's military. I just didn't like the wording that was used, made it seem like the idea of an update army was being shot down before I was given a chanve to even start my term Tongue

Maybe we could do both at the same time. Keep a division as the SPA, which would be the regional pile army (hence The South Pacific Army) and create a new division, The NSA or The New Southern Army, which would be the outside military branch that would handle the lead on our military ops. The SPA for support ops, used for after the udpate support and the NSA for leading/palnning for update stikes?!

This was written in haste, as I am at work. I'll clarify more later if needed
I don't see the need to keep two names.  I like the re-branding of the SPA to the NSA and would rather kill off the SPA entirely.  I also am not sure we need to have separate divisions for Milo's idea.
I haven't read the entire thread, so feel free to tell me if I'm being redunant to arguments already covered.

Why not have a militia-style force? As has been brought up, many TSPers are active in military forces outside of TSP. A militia would allow us to have some type of military without the stress of really maintaining one, or choosing a side in the R/D debate. Militia members could serve at their leisure, whether it be update or in a support capacity, Seeing as most military operations are conducted in conjunction with other regions/orgs these days, we could leave participation to be optional and pursue both raids and defenses/liberations.