Poll: How should the Judiciary be Structured?
This poll is closed.
Cabinet hears all cases (SB's Idea)
8.33%
1 8.33%
3 Person Judicial Branch Responsbile for hearing all cases and Judaical Reviews
33.33%
4 33.33%
1 Elected Judge Responsbile for hearing all cases and Judaical Reviews
58.33%
7 58.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judicial Branch Poll
Keep it simple above all else.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
Quote:I think the panel should be selected each time we have a case arise. Otherwise you have a bunch of pointless positions sitting around idle, just like the EC lol 

No, this is too much like a jury Tongue
I am a member of the Committee for State Security. Yay safe region!
Feel free to PM me with any questions / concerns Smile

Former Vice Delegate, Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Regional Affairs, Minister of Justice, and Chief Justice
Quote:Question from Southern Bellz to me in December 2013 MoFA campaign:

Bizarre scenario: Unibot asked you a non-loaded question about TNI or the UDL. How would you react?
Quote:No, this is too much like a jury Tongue
We only have cases every two years or so Tongue
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
Quote:We only have cases every two years or so Tongue
Yep. So we have no need for a permanent position. We need to edit this poll
Indeed, and I just wanna reiterate that any elected official with be little different from the current Minister Of Justice.  I would not likely support such a position.

TSP Deputy Minister Of Foreign Affairs (DoFA)

TSP Ambassador To The East Pacific

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

TSP Ambassador To The Rejected Realms

Europeian Citizens' Assembly Associate Member

Do you want somebody murdered?

(Then don't call GE's General Services
)

But, for any other job, dial
HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

[Image: 20QJ0.png]

I will attempt to come up with a solution when I make some changes to the Charter which I am working on now.
Thanks.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Quote:We only have cases every two years or so Tongue

That doesn't matter. When we do, they are a big deal, and you can't just throw people up there after the fact. We need to have a consistent judicial figure.

Former Vice Delegate, Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Regional Affairs, Minister of Justice, and Chief Justice

Bizarre scenario: Unibot asked you a non-loaded question about TNI or the UDL. How would you react?
Maybe we could have a triumvirate of legal scholars, and, when a case arises, one is selected to be the judge for the particular case.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Quote:That doesn't matter. When we do, they are a big deal, and you can't just throw people up there after the fact. We need to have a consistent judicial figure.
I have yet to see one be a "big deal"

here is the most recent "issue"
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/996-the-zeroth-imperium-appeal/'>http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/996-the-zeroth-imperium-appeal/</a>
What a joke that was, and before that it was the Unibot trial/resignation/clusterf*ck!

We have no need for a full time position
Ya forgot 'bout Punk D's trial.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Having one person (hell, even the MoJ) slated to be a judge over cases isn't a burden on our government. It allows the voters to select someone impartial and with a strong legal knowledge to handle any issues that might come up. Having an active court would also allow people to bring forth legal questions if the need ever arises.

I'm not promoting a huge judicial bureaucracy. But saying that we will pick someone out of a crowd when an issue arises compromises the neutrality of any cases we may have.

Quote: It allows the voters to select someone impartial and with a strong legal knowledge to handle any issues that might come up.
Ideally yes. In actuality it has allowed voters to select the one candidate willing to be MoJ or the delegate to select one of the candidates that didn't win one of the other races to be MoJ since no one signed up for it in the elections...
Quote:Ideally yes. In actuality it has allowed voters to select the one candidate willing to be MoJ or the delegate to select one of the candidates that didn't win one of the other races to be MoJ since no one signed up for it in the elections...
HEM and StGeorgie signed up at the last moment!

A member of Team Cake :cake:

MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (December 2013-PRESENT)

MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (May 2013-August 2013)

DEPUTY MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (April 2013-May 2013)

~≋₪≋~

The Federal Democratic Republic of [nation]Awesomiasa[/nation]

Founded: 21 June 2011

President: Angelina P. Joel

Vice President: Gwendolyn A. Jameson

Quote: 

TheGrimReaper: But hey, some people like places and some people like people.

Rach: "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth."

Vote for HEM!

Quote:Vote for HEM!
Exactly :-)

A member of Team Cake :cake:

MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (December 2013-PRESENT)

MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (May 2013-August 2013)

DEPUTY MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (April 2013-May 2013)

~≋₪≋~

The Federal Democratic Republic of [nation]Awesomiasa[/nation]

Founded: 21 June 2011

President: Angelina P. Joel

Vice President: Gwendolyn A. Jameson

Quote: 

TheGrimReaper: But hey, some people like places and some people like people.

Rach: "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth."

Quote:Vote for HEM!
Seriously do it. Vote for HEM.

I suggested this on the TNP irc channel a few days back, but I figure it could work here as much as there (or anywhere). Have all those interested in serving as judges apply to be placed upon a list maintained by the Minister of Justice.

Depending on the number of people on the list and the activity of such and the case in question we can have 1/3/5 people as judges rotating on a per case basis.

So say Carta is on trial (sorry buddy Tongue) and is defending himself, whilst HEM, as the MoJ is prosecuting. Myself, Hileville, Awesomiasa, Topid, Bel, Todd and GE have all applied to be listed as judges. Depending on the severity of what Carta is accused of doing, either 1, 3 or 5 of us would be randomly selected to judge the case. Those chosen could be subject to challenges from either the prosecution or defence for bias or conflicts of interest.
That begs the questions who does the choosing, how are they selected, who or what decides the severity of the charges, who maintains the list, why would we elect a prosecutor and not a judge, et cetera...

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Quote:That begs the questions who does the choosing, how are they selected, who or what decides the severity of the charges, who maintains the list, why would we elect a prosecutor and not a judge, et cetera...
1. Random selection by either the delegate or chair of the assembly. 2. <a class='bbc_url' href='http://download.cnet.com/The-Hat/3000-2056_4-10074565.html'>Pick names out of the hat?</a>. 3. Presumerably decided by statute or by interpretation by the MoJ? 4. Because electing judges makes the position, by definition, political. That is bad.
1. The Chair has no legal power of the judiciary, per the Charter.  2. Do they literally pick names out of a hat, and how do we verify that?  3. Our old statutory criminal code is defunct. 4. I'm not for electin' judges, either, but my point was why elect a lawyer?  Lawyer is hardly a political position.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

1. You mean the charter that we're talking about amending/replacing in this very subforum? 2. Click the link. Tongue It's a downloadable program that lets you enter names into a list and the program picks one of them. We can verify the results by having whoever is picking screenshot the results. 3. So we replace it. 4. Why elect a general (Minister of the Army)? Why elect a civil servant (Minister of Regional Affairs)? Why elect a diplomat (Minister of Foreign Affairs)? 
1. Judicial reform needs to happen whether or not the Charter is amended, and, as such, we should at least be prepared to work within the framework of the current Charter.  2. ...Oh.  3. The issue was raised, but there hasn't been a single suggestion to replace it. 4. I, for one, am also against electin' a General, and a Minister Of Regional Affairs is a relatively new position.  As for the Minister Of Foreign Affairs, I see him more as a liaison between the delegate and our ambassadors.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

We can always outsource to the Pacific.
Where justice is swift.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Quote:We can always outsource to the Pacific.
Snarkiness aside (yes, I'm looking at you GE), the system used by TP isn't a bad one. Publicly elected prosecutor and (depending on the type of trial used) a panel of judges has been very effective. Seeing as there isn't a deluge of cases, like in TNP, I don't see why we cannot select a panel of judges to hear cases as they arise. The justices selected could then be confirmed by the RA.