Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Informal Discussion: NSA
Quote:In my experience, badges and point systems serve as just as good of incentives as new ranks. 
 I love the 10,000 Islands model of giving battle ribbons. It's something I was meaning to suggest. I do have to agree with Cormac re: ranks but it's not something I'd lay awake at night about.

And for what it's worth, the SP's military was once called the Defense Force of the South Pacific. I believe the name was changed for a reason Tongue I like the idea of renaming our military to the South Pacific Navy. It fits with our regional motif, and I don't think too many other regions go the Navy route; I do recall the NPO naming their army the Pacific Navy back in the day, but I can't think about anything else.
To keep giving examples, Europeia has a navy.

For a name, I'd suggest you pick an acronym which you like the sound of and go from there. Some examples: SPEC - South Pacific Elite Corps (operations would be SPEC Ops). SPIT - South Pacific Infantry Troops (ok, maybe this wasn't the best idea, there aren't many good acronyms starting with SP). I'm sure someone can come up with better. Just make sure it isn't called something like the Alliance of Southern Soldiers or something which has a bit of an unfortunate acronym (ASS) - as we have with the NSA.

I'm not involved with the army enough to comment on the other things raised, I usually can't be around for updates (either at work or asleep for most), so not much point my joining. I think some kind of reward system would be worthwhile - the ribbon/medal idea is a pretty good idea I believe, makes it seem more like a real army.

My only other suggestion for improvement would be for someone to detail what missions have occurred. I know sometimes this can be sensitive info, and even if info is publicized once the battle is over for security purposes, it'd be great to know. Win or lose, it'd be worth people knowing what the army has been up to, as even when the army fails, putting up a good fight is often worth publicizing too. I must admit I know very little the army have done, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the region. Most of the successful raiders/defender regions love to publicize what they have accomplished - we don't seem to (not enough anyway). You should be proud of your accomplishments and of your attempts to make the NS world a better place for everyone. Publicizing these achievements would most likely lead to a more active army, which can't be a bad thing.
Quote:My only other suggestion for improvement would be for someone to detail what missions have occurred. I know sometimes this can be sensitive info, and even if info is publicized once the battle is over for security purposes, it'd be great to know. Win or lose, it'd be worth people knowing what the army has been up to, as even when the army fails, putting up a good fight is often worth publicizing too. I must admit I know very little the army have done, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the region. Most of the successful raiders/defender regions love to publicize what they have accomplished - we don't seem to (not enough anyway). You should be proud of your accomplishments and of your attempts to make the NS world a better place for everyone. Publicizing these achievements would most likely lead to a more active army, which can't be a bad thing.

We have a page here, but its been a few months since its been updated...
The Confederation of Rebel-topian Nations

[spoiler="Positions - Past and Present"]

Forum Administrator

TSP Chair of the Assembly (12/13 - Present)

TSP's Craziest (12/12 - 3/13 -- 8/13 - Present)
Former Vice Delegate under Belschaft (8/13 - 12/13)

Former General in the NSA (5/13 - 8/13)

Former Minister of Security in TSP (9/12 - 12/12)

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in TSP (5/12 - 9/12)

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="CRN Member Nations"]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]
Farengeto is my new best friend!!!!

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

I have been thinking that a good move would be to establish a multinational arms corporation/NS storefront for those of us interested in that aspect of the game (would also be nice for TSP nations to have access to locally produced designs to outfit their fictional militaries with).

On the main NSA issue (seriously, every time I type that acronym I picture confederates with spy satellites)- a nicely done up news publication for it would be nice.... A long with a nice introductory thread that can finally explain to me in terms I understand what the hell military gameplay

Is.....

On the acronym... How about S.P.A.Z? (South Pacific Army of Zombies).... When you invade it is called a S.P.A.Z attack..... No? Perhaps a name for it during Halloween?

Also, consider alternatives to fleet, army, etc, like;

Armada

Horde

Armed Forces

Expeditionary Fleet

Intervention Force

Muster

Marine Corps

Crusade
Elite Corps... Expeditionary Fleet... Have we been transported to an Attack on Titan AU? Tongue

[Image: wwzB8Av.png]
tsp
minister of foreign affairs

Quote:In my experience, badges and point systems serve as just as good of incentives as new ranks. 
I'll do something strange and agree with Unibot. Awarding badges for individual missions that hold some significance is an excellent means of incentive. You can actually get a forum thingy that displays these on your profile, otherwise they could just go in the siggy. That should provide some incentive to join and participate, without resulting in too much hierarchy from a heavily tiered ranking system.

Nothing Ventured
, Nothing Gained

Quote:We have a <a class="bbc_url" href="http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/page/mission_logs.html">page here</a>, but its been a few months since its been updated...
Is this page meant to be blank? Guess that's what you meant about it not being updated. Wasn't aware of that page. Thanks.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Rebeltopia" data-cid="118360" data-time="1393523696">
We have a <a class="bbc_url" href="http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/page/mission_logs.html">page here</a>, but its been a few months since its been updated...
Is this page meant to be blank? Guess that's what you meant about it not being updated. Wasn't aware of that page. Thanks.

</blockquote>

Thats weird. That I see, it has logs of 7 missions. Anyone else having trouble viewing?

Forum Administrator

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Badges are a good incentive, but they rely on having someone to create the badges. A rank system does not. Do we have someone who will regularly do that? If we do, then I think that's a fine alternative.

In regard to names, I propose South Pacific Armed Services Trained in Combat -- SPASTIC.  Tongue

Cormac Somerset

[Image: cormacshield.png]

The Brotherhood of Malice

General and Outside World Manager

"Defenderism is dead activity, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living activity, and lives the more, the more activity it sucks." - Me (paraphrasing Karl Marx)

I think the law I presented would allow for additional ranks and badges if an MoA wanted to implement them, but future MoAs do not have to honor them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Rebeltopia" data-cid="118059" data-time="1393363178">
<div>
I very much look forward to hearing it, SB.

Quote: 

Preamble:

<p style="font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">This document hereby establishes the New Southern Army (hereby known as NSA) Code of Conduct. These rules and guidelines shall be written instruction for all members of the NSA to follow.

Article 1: Command Structure

1. The NSA will be led by the Minister of the Army and a panel of three Generals, herein referred to as the General Corps.
  2. Further ranks will be bestowed at the discretion of the General Corps.
  3. All new NSA members will be designated the rank of Trainee
     until such time as they have a a complete understanding of the Code of Conduct and NS military gameplay.
  4. Beyond the MoA and General Corps, the rankings will be as follows from next highest on down; Officer, Solider, Trainee
  5. The General Corps is responsible for the planning of and overseeing of all missions of the NSA.  Officers can lead operations and give orders on behalf of The General Corps.

<p style="font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">Article 2: Requirements of Membership

1. WA membership is required.

2. NSA members must be Citizens of The South Pacific in full compliance with the Charter and Code of Laws.
  3. NSA members are required to return to The South Pacific and endorse the delegate, vice delegate, and CCS when not on mission
     keep an influence puppet in TSP, for purposes of regional defense. When not participating in operations, members are encouraged to gather WA endorsements and influence on this nation.

4. NSA members must treat each other with respect and offer assistance to one-another whenever possible.
  5. NSA members are expected to sign in during roll call, and respond to mission orders even if unable to participate
    . participate in at least one update a week, when not on a leave of absence, provided three or more operations are planned and carried out in a given week.​
Article 3: Disciplinary Regulations, Procedures and Actions

<p style="font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">Section 1 - Disciplinary Regulations

1. Aiding the enemy; Giving an enemy region or organisation any information or assistance, in particular serving in enemy forces or spreading enemy propaganda.
  2. Disgraceful conduct; Conduct unbecoming of a member of the NSA.
  3. Disobeying a lawful command; Intentionally or recklessly disobeying a lawful command.
  4. ​Espionage; obtaining or attempting to obtain information of a confidential, restricted or private nature with the intent to disclose said information to an individual or individuals not authorized to possess it.
  5. Ill-Treating Subordinates; Bullying, humiliating, degrading or using unnecessarily harsh behavior against a subordinate.
  6. Misconduct towards a superior officer; Disrespectful behavior or communication to a superior officer.
  7. Obstructing an operation; Putting at risk or otherwise delaying, disrupting or discouraging a lawful operation.
  8. Failure to meet membership requirements; Failing to meet the NSA requirements of membership.
<p style="font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">Section 2 - Disciplinary Procedures

<p style="font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"> 

<p style="font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">Discipline is at the discretion of the MoA and The General Corps and is limited to:

1. Demotion.
  2. Dishonorable Discharge.
  3. Honorable Discharge.
  4. Private apology.
  5. Public apology.
  6. Suspension.​

</div>
</blockquote>

I motion this to vote.
Seconded

Escade

Delegate

:cake:

The South Pacific

Seconded.

Cormac Somerset

[Image: cormacshield.png]

The Brotherhood of Malice

General and Outside World Manager

"Defenderism is dead activity, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living activity, and lives the more, the more activity it sucks." - Me (paraphrasing Karl Marx)

Will get to this AFTER the server move, since we dont know when exactly it'll be done.

Forum Administrator

Bump

I suppose the name change itself doesn't have to be done via legislation? I like the idea of finding a cool or fun acronym and then filling it in. Elite or Special Ops or Special Forces sounds awesome.

Escade

Delegate

:cake:

The South Pacific

Sorry. Gots lost in the shuffle.

Forum Administrator

Quote:I suppose the name change itself doesn't have to be done via legislation? I like the idea of finding a cool or fun acronym and then filling it in. Elite or Special Ops or Special Forces sounds awesome.
We would have to amend the Code of Laws.  Also add in a clause to change any reference of NSA to _____.
Quote:
  1. NSA members are required to return to The South Pacific and endorse the delegate, vice delegate, and CCS when not on mission

CCS?

Kris Kringle

Vice Delegate of the South Pacific - 
Forum Administrator
Deputy Minister of Communications and Integration (former) - Minister of Foreign Affairs (former)

Kringle's What? Moment: [01:32] Then let's have breakfasts at night between the Delegate and Vice Delegate
Good spot!

Vibrant Coconuts

WA Advisor to the The South Pacific

Also known as Gruenberg
, Quintessence of Dust
and The Dark Star Republic

and I read the draft before I posted it, too... Sad

EDIT:
Its correct in the voting booth Big Grin

Forum Administrator