Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal: Charter
I'd prefer to stick with Coalition. Like SB said, we have a long history with that name.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
I can understand that, and I'll live with it since you all feel strongly about it.

I like what SB proposed about our justice system. I can write an article about it if no one else wants to, provided that we're interested in moving forward with the concept. It's simple and efficient, and that's why I really like it.
Changed Dem. Repub. back to Coalition using the very nice find and replace system.
Okay.  Quibble number two: Why are we takin' the power to change the endorsement cap away from the Assembly?

TSP Deputy Minister Of Foreign Affairs (DoFA)

TSP Ambassador To The East Pacific

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

TSP Ambassador To The Rejected Realms

Europeian Citizens' Assembly Associate Member

Do you want somebody murdered?

(Then don't call GE's General Services
)

But, for any other job, dial
HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

[Image: 20QJ0.png]

I realize I'm a bit late to the Coalition/People's Republic/etc. ... and maybe this is showing my age ... but can't we use "region"? Personally, I think any other term seems to imply something different as those we have our NS region, a coalition therein and then citizen's of a coalition after. Admittedly, it's complete semantics but ...

Second -- and I'm not sure if this is the point to bring this up or not -- but do we need to have difference between "laws" and the "charter"? Can we keep this to one document? I think the reason why we're in a position of overlapping laws/regulations is because we have this dual system. IRL, this serves a purpose, I don't see it being needed here. If we make all changes to the charter at the time of voting, I think it will keep the government ... or laws at least ... more streamlined.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

More streamlined, yes, but too streamlined?  Maybe.  The main difference between laws and the Charter is the threshold required to pass it or its amendments.  In order to amend the Charter, it requires a 75% threshold, and, in order to pass a law, it requires a simple majority.  If we streamline the two, we'd havta adopt for one or the other threshold for ever law or amendment we pass, and, if we adopt the simple majority, it'll be too simple to fundamentally change the region.  If we adopt the other threshold, it'll be too difficult to make minor changes, and, if we change it based off the law bein' passed, while it'll technically be one document, it'll effectively be seperate.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

But -- practically speaking, what's the difference between a law and the charter?

When you're dealing with various levels of the government you have different people making the laws and thus need more important laws to superceede others. But, that shouldn't be an issue when the same body of people are making both laws.

Honestly, I feel like we're arbitarially making one set of laws harder to change than others ... and I'm not just of the logic behind it.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

I think it's logical to have some laws harder to change than others, not arbitrary.  Some laws are more fundamental to the region than others.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Quote:I think it's logical to have some laws harder to change than others, not arbitrary.  Some laws are more fundamental to the region than others.

So then do we have different threasholds to pass changes during the GC?
===

-tsu

Quote:But -- practically speaking, what's the difference between a law and the charter?

When you're dealing with various levels of the government you have different people making the laws and thus need more important laws to superceede others. But, that shouldn't be an issue when the same body of people are making both laws.

Honestly, I feel like we're arbitarially making one set of laws harder to change than others ... and I'm not just of the logic behind it.

Quote:I think it's logical to have some laws harder to change than others, not arbitrary.  Some laws are more fundamental to the region than others.

I understand where tsu's coming from, but for this, I'm gonna have to agree with GE. Given that the Charter in itself has supremacy over other laws, there needs to be a higher threshold that is set such that only the decisions that are in consistency with the rest of the laws are passed, and this is indeed a very impt process! 

A member of Team Cake :cake:

MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (December 2013-PRESENT)

MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (May 2013-August 2013)

DEPUTY MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (April 2013-May 2013)

~≋₪≋~

The Federal Democratic Republic of [nation]Awesomiasa[/nation]

Founded: 21 June 2011

President: Angelina P. Joel

Vice President: Gwendolyn A. Jameson

Quote: 

TheGrimReaper: But hey, some people like places and some people like people.

Rach: "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth."

It is, but I think the distinction needs to be made between what we're doin' here and what people traditionally consider as a 'constitutional convention.' The difference bein' that this isn't an all or nothin' proposition, as nothin' may even come of it, we're not throwin' out the current Charter right off the bat. Everything that comes outta the Council should adhere to whatever Charter is in effect.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

I will have an amended version this evening which includes the Judicial system that has been discussed.

Are there any other things that I missed that need updated?
I still don't think the "Minister Of The Army" should be a cabinet member, but I digress.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

I disagree, GE. They should be able to participate in cabinet discussions because it's a crucial position in the government.

Hile, I don't think you've missed anything, except for SB's suggestion about the justice system.
I have the update drafted on my home computer.  Will post either tonight or tomorrow morning.  I got sidetracked.
Hmmm,,,

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Could we not call it "Minister of the Army"?Maybe "Master General" or something that doesn't sound so dull
The part regarding investigations... I'm not sure about this... But I'm giving something bold here.

Can we set up a independent South Pacific Investigations Commission that is not under any branch (Judiciary, Army) per se, and instead has a Director/Commissioner that reports to the Delegate directly.

This helps prevent any inferences by any party during the proceedings of an investigation. Functions as a system of check and balance as well. 

A member of Team Cake :cake:

MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (December 2013-PRESENT)

MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (May 2013-August 2013)

DEPUTY MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (April 2013-May 2013)

~≋₪≋~

The Federal Democratic Republic of [nation]Awesomiasa[/nation]

Founded: 21 June 2011

President: Angelina P. Joel

Vice President: Gwendolyn A. Jameson

Quote: 

TheGrimReaper: But hey, some people like places and some people like people.

Rach: "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth."

I have updated the OP with some corrected spellings and wording.  This is a minor edited version without a judicial branch.  After reviewing everything a bit further I want to get a clear consensus on what we as a region want.
We don't know!  We never have.  That's why the Council always comes down to the judiciary.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Seriously, could we change "Minister of the Army" to Commander-in-chief or General-in-chief or leave it as Minister of Security? Why the need to change it. If anything we need to change the name of the South Pacific Army (SPA). Which I will propose soon in the militray GC thread
Unless its goin' back to DSP, I'd rather just stick with SPA, but maybe that's just me.  I am against Minister of the Army in name and in principle.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

The Delegate is theoretically the Commander-in-Chief which is how it has been structured for some time.  The change was related to the removal of some of the duties of the MoS as they will only be focused on the army and intelligence.

If we can come up with another name that keeps to our Minister styling I am okay with that.
The SPA/TSPIA isn't really a ministry.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Quote:The SPA/TSPIA isn't really a ministry.

No that is why the Ministry of the Army is what overseas the operations of both.