Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling a Great Council
I'm officially declaring my intent to call for a great council once elections have been concluded in roughly a months time. This is something I have been considering for a while, and with the forum move I have decided to act upon.

Our laws are a mess - both technically since the move, and literally in terms of what they say. They contradict themselves, make limited sense, and in many cases - such as the judicial system - are not fit for purpose. I do not wish to start again, but rather re-draft what we have in simpler, fewer documents. For ten years we have had one Charter, and I respect that, but over time amendments have made it complex and muddled. I can honestly say that even I do not fully understand our law anymore. This needs to change; our laws need to be simple, clear and concise.

I envision my ideal version as being split into a smaller number of documents than at present;

The Charter
The Judicial Code
The Executive Code
The Legislative Code

That is all we need, if we work it properly. A couple more may be needed, but I don't think more than six at max should be required. I have no intent to change the law radically, and I will be working from the Charter as I draft something to put before the cabinet, but the time for change has come.

I would like all your input on this please.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
An extension now I'm back home and able to post in more detail. This is how I envision a reformed legal code being organised;

The Charter
Statement of general principles and fundamental rights, as well as details of the various Codes and what they contain, but not the contents themselves. Also contains the format for all codes and laws (currently defined in L-#3 Presentation of Bills Act) that are subsidiary to the Charter

The Judicial Code
Establishment of the judicial branch, a comprehensive list of criminal offences and a simple legal system for both judicial review and criminal complaints.

<strong class='bbc'>The Executive Code</strong>
Establishment of the executive branch, stating the roles, duties and powers of all executive roles and how the government functions.

<strong class='bbc'>The Legislative Code</strong>
Establishment of the legislative branch, stating the powers, duties and rules of the assembly.

The Electoral Code
Stating the way elections are to be administered.

These five documents would be the core elements of the regional law. Each would be clearly identified, detail everything relating to that branch of government or system, and nothing else. Other laws - establishing regional holidays or awards, for example - would be distinct to the Charter and Codes, and would not cover these areas. If something relates to elections, it's in the electoral code - rather than having multiple documents for different elections. If it's an executive issue, it's in the executive code. If it's a judicial one, in the Judicial code.

I'm not going to go into the specific details of how each section will be written or what they will say, as I have no right to try and unilaterally rewrite the regions laws. However, they do need re-organizing and I believe the above system is sensible.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]

I don't think we need that many documents, and Milo has left me some notes on this, which I shall browse and get back to you. But until mid-next-week, I am most busy.
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
I like the idea of streamlining the laws.  I think we may be able to do with a few less documents though.
The intent is to have each section of governance in it's own document, and everything relating to it there. You want to know about how elections are run? Check the Electoral Code. The executive branch? Check the Executive Code. The legislature? It's got it's own thread.

My aim is simplicity and ease of understanding above all else. Right now you have to check multiple threads to find out how any one section of our government is organised. That is way too complicated.

My proposal may not be the best idea out there, but I think we can all agree that we can and should simply things.

I can agree at least on that Tongue
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
This GC shall be called "the Great Leap Forward!"
Quote:I'm officially declaring my intent to call for a great council once elections have been concluded in roughly a months time. This is something I have been considering for a while, and with the forum move I have decided to act upon.

Our laws are a mess - both technically since the move, and literally in terms of what they say. They contradict themselves, make limited sense, and in many cases - such as the judicial system - are not fit for purpose. I do not wish to start again, but rather re-draft what we have in simpler, fewer documents. For ten years we have had one Charter, and I respect that, but over time amendments have made it complex and muddled. I can honestly say that even I do not fully understand our law anymore. This needs to change; our laws need to be simple, clear and concise.

On this I have to agree. I read much of the laws and it can be confusing. If it was confusing for me and for us, how much more for people new to TSP and the forum? I second the need to make our rules simple and understandable, yet not too vague; and clear yet not too technical.  So, yes, I would support streamiling the laws of the region.

Quote:This GC shall be called "the Great Leap Forward!"

That evokes grave images of failure and famine...  :unsure:
Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
Quote:That evokes grave images of failure and famine...  :unsure:
By failure and famine, I'm going to assume that you mean "great revolutionary elan."

I actually planned to do this, and I wholeheartedly support the motion to do this.  :milo: