Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conflict of Interest Law
I do not think major reforms can be made to our citizen policy without sacrificing the open nature of our democracy.I do think how a few things can be changed.1) The elected delegate of The South Pacific cannot hold any office other than citizen or member outside of region (excluding groups like the MPA).2) Leaders (Ex. Delegate, Prime Minister, ect) of regions or organizations outside of The South Pacific (again excluding things like the MPA) have to disclose that relationship, are excluded from running for elected office, and must excuse themselves in all votes with a conflict of interest.
Would that take affect during immediately after passing or after the next term? I am active in other regions and hold positions in both Balder and Osiris. That is kinda making the Delegate only able to be involved here. I happen to enjoy being involved in several places at once. I also don't think that changes people being able to vote on things right when they gain citizenship which is in fact see as a problem by people.I don't about this one SB.
No.And just to make things clear, no again.This is unenforceable, unfair, and unnecessary.
[Image: HuoZhaoDao.png]
I think its reasonable. While being part of a different region is fine, having a major role in two regions can end up being unworkable and cause constant allegations of bias. As we have seen.I'd exclude stuff like if you were one of three judges etc, but certainly if you run one region/org its dubious.
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
Quote:I do not think major reforms can be made to our citizen policy without sacrificing the open nature of our democracy.

I do think how a few things can be changed.

1) The elected delegate of The South Pacific cannot hold any office other than citizen or member outside of region (excluding groups like the MPA).

2) Leaders (Ex. Delegate, Prime Minister, ect) of regions or organizations outside of The South Pacific (again excluding things like the MPA) have to disclose that relationship, are excluded from running for elected office, and must excuse themselves in all votes with a conflict of interest.
I could be a douche and make a parrot the new <em class='bbc'>Supreme</em> Chief of the Band, under me. Tongue

I think it's not a really good conflict of interest bill because it's just assuming leaders are going to be the most biased people and not dealing with.. well... all the people under the leaders. Most regions and organizations have people under their head to do their "dirty work" for them. I mean, for example, it would be everyone under Pope Hope that you had to worry about if you were TNP and you were worried about outside influence.

So I'm not even sure this bill is even accomplishing what you want, SB. :/
Never Cruel nor Cowardly,

Never Give Up, Never Give In.

I'm with everyone else on this, it is is unworkable, and unfair to those that have a very active life on NS. To maintain that candidates continue to point out there other positions elsewhere seems to work ok for me.
Quote:I'm with everyone else on this, it is is unworkable, and unfair to those that have a very active life on NS. To maintain that candidates continue to point out there other positions elsewhere seems to work ok for me.
Agreed. This would hinder Hile, who I believe to be doing more then most anyone in the Delegate position since I've been here... Granted, I haven't been here too long, but still. He has been very active here as our Delegate. And I know he has also been very active as Lawspeaker in Balder. I'm also making the assumption that his other position(s) haven't slipped, either. He may be the exception to the rule, but I don't think we should take that chance.
The Confederation of Rebel-topian Nations

[spoiler="Positions - Past and Present"]

Forum Administrator

TSP Chair of the Assembly (12/13 - Present)

TSP's Craziest (12/12 - 3/13 -- 8/13 - Present)
Former Vice Delegate under Belschaft (8/13 - 12/13)

Former General in the NSA (5/13 - 8/13)

Former Minister of Security in TSP (9/12 - 12/12)

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in TSP (5/12 - 9/12)

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="CRN Member Nations"]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]
Farengeto is my new best friend!!!!

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Quote:Agreed. This would hinder Hile, who I believe to be doing more then most anyone in the Delegate position since I've been here...He may be the exception to the rule, but I don't think we should take that chance.
From an even younger noobie, hear, hear
I agree with you on most things, SB, but I don't think that this is ideal for the region. I participate in a roleplaying region elsewhere, for example; would this hypothetically mean that I'm not able to serve as delegate or MoRA? I do a lot of work for this region and frankly I cannot see that as being fair to someone such as myself.
Quote:I agree with you on most things, SB, but I don't think that this is ideal for the region. I participate in a roleplaying region elsewhere, for example; would this hypothetically mean that I'm not able to serve as delegate or MoRA? I do a lot of work for this region and frankly I cannot see that as being fair to someone such as myself.
You're right.

I dont know how to address this issue, and I really need help. I thought personally accountability would cut it, but that has stopped working imo.
Quote:He may be the exception to the rule
I think Hil is; he manages more activity in a wider range than basically anyone in NS I know.
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]