Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion: Amendment to the presentation of bills
Dear chairman (and other members), as far as I can see there is no discussion on this and was put to vote immediately. While a debate before voting on a bill may not be strictly required for a democratic process, it is very much desirable. I belief strongly that no first draft is perfect, and that others catch more and/or other flaws in a text than the author.

For example, in the presentation of bills act currently under vote, there is the following dubious construction (bold emphasis mine) :

Quote:2.  The bill must be divided into the following parts: preamble, articles, clauses, sections, amendments, repeals.

(?1)  Preamble describes briefly what the bill sponsor hopes to achieve with the bill being proposed.

(?2)  <strong class='bbc'>Articles</strong> are the main <strong class='bbc'>sections</strong> of the bill.

(?3)  Clauses contain the proposals within each Article, divided up by context.

(?4)  <strong class='bbc'>Sections</strong> clarify points proposed by the clauses.

(?5)  The Chair of the Assembly may edit the bill to fit into this format.
Such that strictly, articles are the main clarification of the clauses, which are in turn part of the articles that are clarifying them...

Further, the ? sign is an annoying inclusion as it is not standard available on keyboards. The only reason that I voted aye is that I wasn't very fond of the previous presentation of bills act either.
[Image: 1ad3869e-07b4-47f3-8bf1-247c729479d6.jpg]

Tsrill the discussion for this took place in this thread: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/theSPacific/index.php?showtopic=10154'>http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/theSPaci...showtopic=10154</a>. This followed the time frame as set forth in the Charter. There was not much discussion on this and I simply went with what was suggested.
I was going to say I thought we'd debated this; I remember asking what PoBA stood for Tongue
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
Oh, ok, I'm sorry. I scrolled through the list of recent discussions and couldn't find it. Anyway, the issue with the text remains an issue

Quote:Oh, ok, I'm sorry. I scrolled through the list of recent discussions and couldn't find it. Anyway, the issue with the text remains an issue
No problem at all. I have missed things before as well.

Can we have some more discussion on this please?
If you like I can wait till the voting is over and then post another amendment?

Quote:If you like I can wait till the voting is over and then post another amendment?
You can write the amendment up now as the voting closed on this yesterday.
Tsrill, are you still going to write an amendment to this?