Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amendment to the Charter
Striking Chapter V articles 8-11 in their entirety.

Renaming and Replacing with:

Quote:<strong class='bbc'>Chapter V.

Cabinet Officials of the Region</strong>

<strong class='bbc'>Article 8: Duties of these officials</strong>

The Charter of the Coalition of The South Pacific calls for five (5) separate and distinct Ministries represented and run by member nations of the South Pacific. The Minister of the Ministry must be a member nation of the South Pacific. They need not be a UN member; however it is recommended. They must work only for the benefit of The South Pacific. They must pledge fealty to the office not the delegate.

<strong class='bbc'>Article 9: Appointment and Dismissal</strong>

These officials shall be appointed by the Delegate at the pleasure of the sitting delegate. In the same right, these officials may be dismissed and relieved of all duties by the Delegate.

<strong class='bbc'>Article 10: Approval</strong>

All and any Cabinet appointments by the Delegate must be confirmed by the Assembly with a 50% + 1 majority. Any removals by the Delegate must be confirmed by the same margin.
I understand this will probably be a bit controversial, but consider the situation. I feel the region has fallen inactive, and in this time we need to give the Delegate flexibility to run a government the best as possible. It doesn't seem likely to be that these positions will have much, if any competition, or even if elections are actively kept track anymore.

This will give the Delegate the ability to appoint a Cabinet, but also continue to have oversight by the Assembly.

Opinions? Angry rants :none: ?
I am a member of the Committee for State Security. Yay safe region!
Feel free to PM me with any questions / concerns Smile

Former Vice Delegate, Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Regional Affairs, Minister of Justice, and Chief Justice
Quote:Question from Southern Bellz to me in December 2013 MoFA campaign:

Bizarre scenario: Unibot asked you a non-loaded question about TNI or the UDL. How would you react?
I like this a lot. It solves the legality issues, the activity issues, while maintaining democratic accountability.
I was about to say that this might further stifle activity, until I realized that our recent elections weren't exactly wonders of activity either, so I think it might be worth trying (however, see other thread)

A fixed voting time, e.g., 1 week, needs to be added. Also, replacements could be done in one go, so I would say:

Quote:Article 10: Approval

All and any Cabinet appointments, removals and replacements by the Delegate must be confirmed by the Assembly with a 50% + 1 majority. Voting shall last for one week and is supervised by ....
I just realized by rewriting the text this is not as simple as it may seem, as we need someone (or more someone's) who is responsible for conducting the voting. I suppose it <em class='bbc'>could</em> be done by the delegate, although that would theoretically threaten the independence of the Assembly, so I'd rather see a different solution.

Oh, and <insert angry rant> just for the heck of it Tongue

EDIT: Is this going to be input to the grand assembly? Is there going to be a grand assembly still?
I think a Grand Assembly would be a good idea, from my observation of the law, these changes could take a while otherwise.
I am a member of the Committee for State Security. Yay safe region!
Feel free to PM me with any questions / concerns Smile

Former Vice Delegate, Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Regional Affairs, Minister of Justice, and Chief Justice
Quote:Question from Southern Bellz to me in December 2013 MoFA campaign:

Bizarre scenario: Unibot asked you a non-loaded question about TNI or the UDL. How would you react?
Not bad, but I am a bit cautious. Does this mean elections will be removed altogether?

Our government does need a restructuring, especially with inactivity across the board. I personally would like to give elections one more go, but that's just me. I'm still not convinced we will have enough bodies to fill spots up, so that is where this all breaks down. Since I've been here, elections have been mostly someone signs up for a position and people either approve or disapprove them getting in. That isn't elections - that's more or less volunteering with a flavor for appointment, lol.

With that in mind, I don't mind this at all. It needs a little bit of a refining, but yeah, it would solve our problems pretty quick. Let me look at it a little more in-depth:

Quote:Article 8: Duties of these officials

The Charter of the Coalition of The South Pacific calls for five (5) separate and distinct Ministries represented and run by member nations of the South Pacific. The Minister of the Ministry must be a member nation of the South Pacific. They need not be a UN member; however it is recommended. They must work only for the benefit of The South Pacific. They must pledge fealty to the office not the delegate.
I like the must have a nation in TSP bit. For the "They must work only for the benefit of The South Pacific", I would add "... under this position." We, being a somewhat inactive region, will have people who may be in another region, and working for that region. This suggestion is more of a clarification, though.

Quote:Article 9: Appointment and Dismissal

These officials shall be appointed by the Delegate at the pleasure of the sitting delegate. In the same right, these officials may be dismissed and relieved of all duties by the Delegate.
First line is a bit redundant, just have it say: "These officials shall be appointed by the acting Delegate". Under what qualifications would a acting member be removed? This is kind of a loose end. I'd say reasons for dismissal should include inactivity and / or working against TSP. *shrugs* Either way, it's fine.

Quote:Article 10: Approval

All and any Cabinet appointments by the Delegate must be confirmed by the Assembly with a 50% + 1 majority. Any removals by the Delegate must be confirmed by the same margin.
I have to agree with Tsrill: the voting timer needs to be ~1 week or so.

This works AFAIK. No elections in a region does hinder activity, but for the time being, I see this as working. Perhaps down the road we could open up for elections if activity sparks up, hence why I wouldn't be opposed to adding an extra clause by which the assembly can 'vote' for elections at certain times.