Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh-Ten
Ah, spring, and with spring comes graduations. I remember my own high school graduation. We were the glorious class of 86 and we looked at the class of 87 and said to them "good luck matching our achievements." (We were nothing if not arrogant).But now we have a problem. Throughout this decade classes have graduated as the Class of 01, Class of 02, etc. They call themselves, 'The Class of Oh-One, Class of Oh-Eight" etc. etc. So whenI look at next year's class and hear them say "We're the Class of Oh-Ten" I wonder about that. Oh-Ten? Whaaaaa? No, it's the class of '10.At first I thought it was just the class. After all, Freshmen (14 year olds) are notoriously goofy about things. They may just have gotten wrong. but then I heard the term Oh-Ten used to describe car models, to describe the year in general and I said, Huh?Tell me, will next year be "Oh-Eleven" followed by "Oh-Twelve"? Should I really be calling my graduation clas the "Class of Nine-Eightty-Six"? Never!PLease, people, to call this year "Oh-Nine" makes sense. You include the tens and the ones places. But next year, you have a number in the tens place and a number in the ones place. It is the year "ten" or, if you want to be more formal, "two thousand ten."Or perhaps we shouild go to a different system. We are, after all in the year 2763 AUC, for you Latin scholars out there.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
In China, they're the class of Oh-Seven: 4707
A sword is useless in the hands of a coward - Nichiren Daishonin

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We may not see eye to eye, but we can speak heart to heart
Okay, see, that's easier. Oh-Ten. What kind of numbskull thought that should stick around? Sean Hannity? (btw, Sean, I'm still waiting)

-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
I thought about this the other day, not sure why... Can't remember what conclusion I came to either.This post is largely pointless...
It's rant.

-- B. Bragg

Maybe we should start counting from the Big Bang? TongueI think the reason for the use of "oh-ten" is a linguistic one. Before, the years had two or three syllables, making "The class of..." a smooth phrase with a flow. Now "ten" only has one syllable, making the phrase short, abrupt and in that way, inferior. The flow is restored by adding the "oh". Therefore, my guess would be that next year, the "oh" will be dropped as eleven has plenty of syllables, and thereby flow, of it's own. Now the real poor bastards will be the class of twelve: they have only one syllable like the tens, but road to the life-saving "oh" would be cut off, after it has been dropped the year before. Reintroducing it would be silly, childish even. Maybe they wil pronounce it "twel-veh". Or have a trauma for the rest of their lives...
I think they should install a reset every ten years, then we dont have to worry about oh's, teen's and ty's
Or we could give the years names. Let's say the even years get female names and the odd years male... for example, 2001 could be John, 2002 Carla, 2003 Pete, etc.
Measure it like the Japanese: The second year Obama.

We do that in the U.S., but by Congress, not President. We're currently in the 111th Congress.Other nations have been known to go by the year reign of the monarch.

-- B. Bragg

If we did that, it wouldn't be Japan's system, now would it?So, it would be: "welcome, The Class of the 1st Half of the 111th Congress. "

Quote:If we did that, it wouldn't be Japan's system, now would it?

So, it would be: "welcome, The Class of the 1st Half of the 111th Congress. "
It's a similar idea. Of course, we really only count laws by the Congress.

-- B. Bragg