Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A proposal
Greetings to our neighbors in the South Pacific! In case I haven't said it before, congratulations on the peaceable appointment of your new Delegate. May your reign be as long as your predecessor's. I know it's a busy first few months, but if I may, I have a little suggestion to make to improve your region's effectiveness on the world scene.

As you well know, the WA has gotten more influential of late. Liberation resolutions (and less effective Commend and Condemns) allow the WA to reach areas that it previously could not. As a result, WA politics have gotten more heated, and old concerns have come up that were previously overlooked.

One of these is the fact that a very large proportion of players vote in WA resolutions simply according to whichever side has more votes at the moment. As a result, votes cast at the beginning of the voting cycle have far more of an effect than votes cast at the end. A few large user-region Delegates have taken advantage of this to effectively control Resolutions, while large regions that traditionally vote at the end now have next to no effect in the face of what may then be a gap of thousands of votes.

So, my suggestion is this: Begin voting on resolutions on this forum when they reach quorum as proposals, and cast your Delegate votes as soon after they go up for vote as Resolutions as you can. This will greatly increase TSP's influence on resolutions. If there is a queue, it will also grant more time to vote and discuss resolutions internally. It <em class='bbc'>will</em> take some effort to keep track of what's reached quorum when - but I don't think that having additional useful things for ministers to do is a bad thing.

Best wishes,

Kandarin
I strongly agree with this - votes count for more if they're placed earlier.
That's a good idea, Kandarin. For the longest time the delegate here votes late, after the region has voted on it. I like the idea.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
I'm not opposed to this,Hi Kandarin, always nice to see you in TSP
iLike, as always
TEP has been doing this recently - we've liked the results we've gotten with this. It also gets more in the region involved in the WA vote.
Quote:TEP has been doing this recently - we've liked the results we've gotten with this. It also gets more in the region involved in the WA vote.
It should be noted that the version I'm advocating is the RR's version, although the Pacific has taken it up as well. TEP's take on it is simply for the Delegate to vote his own stance once the Resolution goes up to vote while internal voting begins at the same time (which could change the Delegate's vote). I suppose the alternatives are a matter of how extreme you want the change to be - and how much power is to be vested in the Delegate.
Quote:That's a good idea, Kandarin. For the longest time the delegate here votes late, after the region has voted on it. I like the idea.
I will support this. This will help get our independent voice into the NS world.

Also, wasn't people viewing voting late as a mark of a inactive delegate?

Edit: also right now, there are 4 in quroum!

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.