Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are YOU Reading?
We're all a highly literate bunch so I thought it might be something to post the title of a book you're currently reading and a short summary or somewhat for it.

I'm reading <em class='bbc'>The American Revolution Considered as a Social Movement</em> by J. Franklin Jameson, published 1926.

Years ahead of its time, Jameson argued in this short series of lectures that the American Revolution was, in fact, a revolution and had a vibrant nature that radically changed society.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
Terry Pratchett - Making MoneyThe latest discworld novel, where Pratchett takes a jab at the banking sector. It's not the best Pratchett I've read, I have to admit.
Quote:Terry Pratchett - Making Money

The latest discworld novel, where Pratchett takes a jab at the banking sector. It's not the best Pratchett I've read, I have to admit.
Is there anything Pratchett hasn't taken a stab at?

Just finished <em class='bbc'>As Nature Made Him: The Boy who was raised as a girl</em> by John Colapinto. No idea what to start next. Thinking either Obama's autobiography (again), or maybe a little fiction.
<em class='bbc'>The Filthy Thirteen</em> by Jake McNiece

Autobiography of a WWII paratrooper from a demolition section of the 101st Airborne Division. It supplements some other material I've read. Purported to be the inspiration of "The Dirty Dozen" but I see it in name only. McNiece and his unit were troublemakers, but not criminals.

The Filthy Thirteen were responsible for one of the most iconic images of US paratroopers in the Normandy Invasion, namely the mohawk haircuts and war paint.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I Came, I Saw, I Skedaddled

Kids shouldn't drink with monkeys.
<em class='bbc'>Wolf Hall</em> by Hilary Martel.

This novel is set during the reign of Henry VIII and revolves about the activites of Thomas Cromwell around the time of the Act of Supremacy. Martel is so far doing a masterful job of describing the political life of 16th century England.

-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
I'm actually reading two atm.First: Fire in the Belly by Sam Keen ... a book describing how men and embrace their manlinessSecond: Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin ... her memoir. Hilarious.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

<em class='bbc'>John Lennon: the Life</em> by Philip Norman

I've only read through about 1961. Tons of stuff I didn't know, or didn't even consider.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

<em class='bbc'>Xenogenesis</em> -- Octavia Butler Sci-Fi
A sword is useless in the hands of a coward - Nichiren Daishonin

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We may not see eye to eye, but we can speak heart to heart
I am reading this thread.
Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
I'm taking a seminar on the Book of Revelations. In so doing I am reading it. This is an online seminar if any are interested in checking it out:

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.truthortradition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=60'>The Book of Reveltions</a>
Former Delegate of The South Pacific
Last month I took down a yellowing and brittle paperback of the Iliad which I've had since high school at least.Amazing read all over again. Perhaps the best thing about the book is that no soldier of note falls in that story without a eulogy.Made me despondent that so many superachieving warriors slew one another in this cruel game of the gods. The best threw themselves at the best and both had worthwhile causes on a microscale though Paris was quite the cuckhold to abscond with Menalaus's wife Helen the way he did. Helen however seemed mostly okay with that arrangement but mainly because <to Hector's chagrin> Paris was much the seducer and bewitcher of women.I'm digging around for my old copies of the Aneid and Oddysey. But they are accessible on Project Gutenberg as long as your okay with the particular translation.Learned that "Homer" was not actually the guy's name but was a slang term for "blind beggar" and it somehow stuck with his works over the centuries.
My wife loves me. The library she works at just finished cataloging Seth Grahame-Smythe's (the guy who co-wrote <em class='bbc'>Pride and Prejudice and Zombies</em>, making me decide that, at some time in the far future, I might read <em class='bbc'>Pride and Prejudice</em>) <em class='bbc'>Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter</em> (And, four chapters in, the Great Emancipator hunts honest-to-God blood-sucking fiends, not angst ridden bozos who sparkle). I tell you. my wife loves me.

I also just finished Ben Thompson's <em class='bbc'>Badass</em>, a pretty tongue-in-cheek book about some pretty impressive historical fighter types. Thompson also put together the website <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.badassoftheweek.com/'>badass of the week.</a> (This week: the Honey Badger)

-- B. Bragg

<em class='bbc'>We're Gonna Win, Twins!</em> by Doug Grow

This is an anectdotal history of 50 years of Twins baseball, covering their arrival from Washington, DC in 1961 to the brink of the 2010 season at brand-new Target Field. Because it's not a traditional history of the team the individual season are generally summarized in a paragraph or two, and instead the focus is on an event or person that made the season unique. For instance, not many people are aware that during one game in 1968 outfielder Cesar Tovar actually played all 9 positions, and played them quite well. He struck out Reggie Jackson, believe it or not, and led the Twins to a 2-1 victory over the Oakland A's (Tom Hall was credited with the win, however).

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=196809220MIN'>http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores...id=196809220MIN</a>
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

vintage US crochet patterns

one 1925's purse pattern refers to sewing in a 6" <em class='bbc'>hookless fastener</em> i.e. zipper. Didn't realize zippers as zippers were that new.

<em class='bbc'>The American Civil War</em> by John Keegan

I've always liked Keegan's analysis

-- B. Bragg

Quote:<em class='bbc'>The American Civil War</em> by John Keegan

His book <em class='bbc'>The Face of Battle </em>is a classic.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <em class='bbc'>The American Civil War</em> by John Keegan

</blockquote> <em class='bbc'>Face of Battle</em> is very good. Have you read <em class='bbc'>Six Armies at Normandy</em>?

-- B. Bragg

<em class='bbc'>A Widow for One Year</em> John Irving. I slogged along and found some absolutely brilliant paragraphs and insights. Loved it. Next, is "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card.

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <em class='bbc'>The American Civil War</em> by John Keegan

</blockquote><em class='bbc'>Face of Battle</em> is very good. Have you read <em class='bbc'>Six Armies at Normandy</em>?
</blockquote>On the bookshelf but only used for reference so far. Among the many books on my reading list.

Before getting around to six Armies I'm sure I'll read Antony Beevor's <em class='bbc'>D-Day: The Battle for Normandy</em>. I've really enjoyed his books on Stalingrad and Berlin, and his style is such that I'll plow through it rapidly because I can't put it down.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I have a ton of books to read, but instead I grabbed something old off the shelf, in this case William Gibson's "Biochips". The plot didn't seem familiar, so maybe I hadn't read it after all and just thought I had read it. It's a kind of cyberpunk mystery, and Mr. Gibson seems to think that the readers are clever enough to solve the mysteries in the book. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of reader who doesn't get hints when it comes to reading fiction, and needs to be slapped around the face with solutions and analogies to see them. Still, I suspect half of the time Mr. Gibson himself had no idea what was going on. All in all, "biochips" is reasonably entertaining but nothing earth-shaking.
<em class='bbc'>The Remains of Company D</em> - James Carl Nelson

The author was curious about his grandfather's experience in WWI, which, like many veterans, had been conveyed to the family in only a few succinct and undescriptive sentences. Through the course of his research Nelson found that his grandfather's story was best told in the context of his company as the stories of all member were intertwined, with fragments of the story scattered in boxes, photo albums and the memories of family.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <em class='bbc'>The American Civil War</em> by John Keegan

</blockquote><em class='bbc'>Face of Battle</em> is very good. Have you read <em class='bbc'>Six Armies at Normandy</em>?
</blockquote>On the bookshelf but only used for reference so far. Among the many books on my reading list.
</blockquote> It's well done. I've read a good deal about the American landings, the British landings, and the Canadian landings, but it was something to read about the Polish and German experiences.

I have just started David Hackett Fischer's <em class='bbc'>Albion's Seed</em>, about the English settlement fo North America. I've read a few books by Fischer and enjoy his style. I'll let you know how it goes.

-- B. Bragg

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <em class='bbc'>The American Civil War</em> by John Keegan

</blockquote>It's well done. I've read a good deal about the American landings, the British landings, and the Canadian landings, but it was something to read about the Polish and German experiences.

I have just started David Hackett Fischer's <em class='bbc'>Albion's Seed</em>, about the English settlement fo North America. I've read a few books by Fischer and enjoy his style. I'll let you know how it goes.
</blockquote> explains the history teacher part

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > <em class='bbc'>The American Civil War</em> by John Keegan

</blockquote>It's well done. I've read a good deal about the American landings, the British landings, and the Canadian landings, but it was something to read about the Polish and German experiences.

</blockquote>explains the history teacher part
</blockquote> What can I say? Textbooks are dull, formed from actual historical research that has been run through a blender, made into tasteless pulp, then subjected to the incredibly biased whims of the Texas School Board, and then put out for our children to use. I like to bring into class new research for the kids to consider.

Besides, what textbook is going to explain that Sally HEmings, Jefferson's slave by which there is more than enough evidence he fathered children on, was also the daughter of his own father-in-law?

-- B. Bragg

Attempt 35 3/4 to finish a German fantasy novel. (Bernhard Hennen - Elfenlicht). It's not so bad, but it's too long and the storyline too complex. Actually I was surprised how much I remembered picking up on page 700 after a year or so of not reading in it. Still 200 pages to go, though.