Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FICO scores
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/YourCreditRating/weston-5-ways-to-kill-your-credit-scores.aspx'>Article Link</a>

One of the questions I'm asked most often about credit scores is exactly how much certain actions affect people's scores.

Until now, the best I could do was say, "It depends." That's because the company that created the leading credit score, the FICO, has been wary about releasing specifics.

Fortunately, that just changed. At my request and for the first time, the company (also known as FICO) has released details about how specific actions, from maxing out a credit card to filing for bankruptcy, can affect people with different credit scores.

I asked the company to compute the results of those actions for two examples: a person with a 780 score, which is an excellent score on the 300-to-850 FICO scale, and someone with a 680 score. The results:

Effect on a 680 score Effect on a 780 score

Maxed-out card|-10 to -30| -25 to -45

30-day late payment|-60 to -80|-90 to -110

Debt settlement|-45 to -65|-105 to -125

Foreclosure|-85 to -105|-140 to -160

Bankruptcy|-130 to -150|-220 to -240

Quote:Before we go further, I have to make this clear: Your mileage may vary.

People with the same credit score can have very different credit profiles: more or fewer accounts, a different mix of accounts, a longer or shorter credit history, use of more or less of their available credit, etc.

Because of those differences, the same action -- maxing out a card, say -- can have different effects on people with the same score, depending on the details of their individual credit profiles.

For the sake of this exercise, FICO assumed both people had several active major credit cards as well as a mortgage, a car loan and student loans.

The person with the 780 score:

* Has at least 10 credit accounts in total and a 15-year credit history.
    * Uses 15% to 25% of her credit card limits.
    * Has no late payments on her credit reports.
    * Has no collection accounts or other major negatives.

The person with the 680 score:

* Has six credit accounts and an eight-year credit history.
    * Uses 40% to 50% of her credit card limits.
    * Was 90 days late on an account two years ago.
    * Was 30 days late on another account one year ago.

Here's what you need to know about each action and the effect it had:
Maxing out a credit card
Using 100% of your limit on any credit card puts you at risk of over-limit fees. It also takes a bite out of your credit score.

Our person with the 680 score might lose 10 to 30 points from this one action, while the 780 scorer could shed 25 to 45 points.

The difference points up an important fact: The higher your score, the more points you tend to lose from "bad" actions. That's because the scoring formula is sensitive to any sign you're getting in over your head. Maxing out a credit card is considered one of those signs.

You also should know that it typically doesn't matter to the formula if you carry a balance or pay off that maxed-out card as soon as you get your statement. What's usually reported to the credit bureaus is the balance on your last statement. Even if you pay the debt in full before the due date, the maxed-out card will hurt your score.
Skipping a payment
Mailing a payment a few days late normally won't hurt your score, although you may incur late fees and trigger higher interest rates. The big hurt comes when you miss a payment cycle entirely.

A 30-day-late report would shave 60 to 80 points from our lower-scoring person and 90 to 110 points from our higher scorer. In other words, one lapse of attention could plunge the 680-scorer into subprime credit territory, and our 780-scorer could find credit much harder to get and more expensive.

This is why it's so important to set up automatic payments to ensure your bills get paid on time, all the time. With credit cards, you can set up automatic payments that take the minimum payment out of your checking account to ward against a late payment. You can always make a second payment that reduces your debt or pays it off entirely. You can sign up for automatic payments on the Web site of your card issuer.

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
my first reaction is who has 10 cards...

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
Sadly Mav, in my job I see it all the time. We have people refinance their houses to cover their credit card debt. Although our finance rules are different to those in North America, there are some companies (mostly those who have store cards etc) who give out cards left right and centre - and getting limit increases is too easy.We don't have a credit scoring system here. Rather, your credit history is judged on how you can pay back a loan, and also, if you have defaults against your name., and how many times you've enquired about getting credit/Enquiries stay 5 years, defaults stay 3 and bankruptcies stay 7 years.
Its sad that a basic education about debt will put you leagues ahead of a lot of other people. Well, not just education, you got to act on what you know. Anyways stuff like this is something I just love to read about. Nice post mav.
Quote:my first reaction is who has 10 cards...
I have seven cards ... that I can think of.

If you include my car payment that would make 8 credit accounts. And in fairness, I would have more if I didn't politely decline applying whenever I shop at places like Express.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

It's credit, pure and simple.Since wages have, at their best, stagnated, producers of goods and retailers need people to go out and buy their product. As they do not have the money (especially disposable income), the producers and retailers offer credit, and too much of that.Hence 10 credit cards.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
And then to think that some of my former colleagues had difficulties getting a credit card at all...
Quote:And then to think that some of my former colleagues had difficulties getting a credit card at all...
To be fair, so did I!

When I was 18 the only thing I could get was a student credit card. GAP turned down!
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu