Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H1N1
Are you suffering from <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/help-ive-come-down-with-swine-flu-overkill/article1339125/'>Swine Flu Overkill</a>?

Are you sick of dealing with people who want you to buy <a class='bbc_url' href='http://consumerist.com/5390714/fda-um-please-do-not-buy-stupid--like-swine-flu-shampoo'>Swine Flue Shampoo</a> and other products that don't work but just continue to scare others?

Then... may i present to you....

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI1r-D2B3SI'>Rocking Pneumonia and Boogie Woogie Flu - Jerry Lee Lewis</a>

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
I honestly think swine flu is the most overrated thing I've encountered this year. Having crossed several borders and continents this year - it's been a nightmare. In May I left Australia, on route to Europe, and had a stopover in Malaysia that was long enough to leave the airport and tour the city on. On arrival at KLIA, you were herded into a line, given a questionnaire and then also a verbal questioning at the swine flu check station. On arrival in Europe, all non-EU passengers were lined up, and your passport checked for recent stamps from affected countries. Same deal on the way back through KL, and then back on home turf you were subjected to the "temperature test" with infrared cameras.Second time was in September. KL had moved the the infrared cameras, Europe didn't care and back into Australia - well, they were so apathetic the guy in front of me coughed on a customs official and the official didn't even blink.I've seen face masks, alcohol gels and foams (issued by work, too!) and assorted preventatives everwhere. I'm so over swine flu LOL!
Follow universal precautions. Wash your hands thoroughly, get your rest, drink fluids, eat right, and stay home when you are ill. that's all I have to say about the flu season
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
From what I understand the reasons why swine flu is a problem because unlike the normal flu, which seems to hurt the weakest of the human population, swine flu has killed people who were previously in fine health and not normally at risk of death from the normal flu.
Quote:From what I understand the reasons why swine flu is a problem because unlike the normal flu, which seems to hurt the weakest of the human population, swine flu has killed people who were previously in fine health and not normally at risk of death from the normal flu.
I've been reading it's been killing children.

I don't actually know if that's true or not ... but I've also heard that it's a relatively minor strain of flu.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

Any flu is dangerous to children and the elderly. H1N1 has also killed people not normally killed by the flu on occasion. That and combined with the fact that it spreads easier (There was an outbreak in my school before flu season) makes me feel that it is something to be worried about.On the other hand the media makes everything out to be worse.
That's because they've got something to point at. Did last year's predominant strain of flu have a catchy name? No. The year before? No.Anyone remember Bird Flu?Influenza's nothing to skoff at, that's for certain. But H1N1 is not Bubonic Plague or Captain Trips and the public should not be whipped into a panic about it.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I Came, I Saw, I Skedaddled

Kids shouldn't drink with monkeys.
On an aside, I see the term 'H1N1' and I think 'heinie'.Also, on a second aside, the best pair of scary pumpkins I saw this year had H1N1 carved into them.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
I slept almost all day today...it's bad, but not as bad as people say it is
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://consumerist.com/5402810/you-can-make-your-own-liquid-tamiflu-at-home'>If you need to make liquid tamiflu for kidz...</a>

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
I got my H1N1 shot Smile
In Holland apparently a few toddlers died...also a few who were in good health. Still, I don't know the statisitics on the normal flu, and right now the media jump on every case, so it's a bit hard to compare.
I've had my vaccination, plus a lingering illness I caught prior that may or may not be the flu proper.

I'm glad I did (the vaccination, I could've done without the disease), even though it's not a meaningful risk to <em class='bbc'>me</em>. The intent of vaccination, after all, isn't just to protect those so treated - it's to protect those who are the most vulnerable and those who cannot be vaccinated. Even if you can't be harmed much by the flu, you can still spread it to someone who can and not even know you were contagious. In light of this, it makes me a little sadder every time I hear someone spreading malicious rumors about whatever the latest strain of vaccine is.

I don't know what to think about the hype. On one hand, the medical community is becoming much more experienced in dealing with infection and reaction on a worldwide scale. These skills will be very valuable when the next truly catastrophic strain hits (and that particular global nightmare is a matter of <em class='bbc'>when</em>, not if). On the other hand, the public has a short memory and is easily jaded by 'false alarms' - regardless of what the toll would have been if the medical community hadn't raised the alarm. This will probably hurt public willingness to cooperate with necessary policies in the long run, which is bad for everyone. I figure that it's best to tune out the cable-news media on this sort of thing while keeping a close eye on what serious organizations like the CDC and WHO have to say, since they don't joke around and know what it means to deal in uncomfortable truths.
It seems that the medical community is seriously worried, or maybe better, scared, about a pandemic outbreak of some sort of disease. So whenever they come across something that is new or unusually mutated and also infectious, the alarm bells ring. Maybe humanity is more resistent to these new viruses than we think we are, or maybe we were just lucky, I don't know. This H1N1 is apparently related to what's called the "Spanish flu" in Holland, an influenza mutation that caused a lot of havoc (and deaths) in 1919 in Europe. Fortunately we live under much better hygenienic circumstances than then.