Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And send $1 to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace
Lucky Yanks,

they got robo calling banned (well most of them).

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/shopping_blog/2009/08/robocalls.html'>llink to LA TImes</a>

Quote:The Federal Trade Commission is sending most of those pesky ?robocalls? to the junk heap starting Tuesday.

Those unwanted prerecorded commercial calls, soliciting services such as carpet cleaning or car warranties, will be a thing of the past unless telemarketers have written permission from consumers that they want to receive these calls, the commission said today. Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 1, violators will face penalties up to $16,000 per call.

"American consumers have made it crystal clear that few things annoy them more than the billions of commercial telemarketing robocalls they receive every year,? Chairman Jon Leibowitz said in a news release. Previously, telemarketers had to tell consumers how to opt out of receiving robocalls.

But there are a few exceptions. The commission will exempt calls that aren?t trying to sell goods and services to consumers; that category would include calls that provide information such as flight cancellations, delivery notices and debt collections.

Other calls not covered include those from politicians, charities that contact consumers directly, banks, insurers, phone companies, surveys and certain healthcare messages such as prescription notifications. The commission said those types of calls don?t fall under its jurisdiction.

Calls made by humans rather than automated systems also will be allowed unless the phone number is on the National Do Not Call Registry.
i hate those robo callers. grr... i hope the law can go after ones that call other nations.

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
I don't think they have made their way across the Atlantic yet...I hope it stays that way...
The frightening thing is all they have to do to avoid a violation is to open with "we're not trying to sell you anything" and then go into their pitch. Ineffective legislation. The tactic is already in use.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I Came, I Saw, I Skedaddled

Kids shouldn't drink with monkeys.
Phones with a spam filter, anyone?
but that takes away of the fun of teasing solicitors in the first place...

how about <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005TQ1Y/crimesofpersu-20'>one of these?</a>

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
I still fail to see the point how a call where you get no human on the line will sell anything...
Same principle as your email SPAM. It's cheap to do and if you get one sale from 500 calls then it's a success.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I Came, I Saw, I Skedaddled

Kids shouldn't drink with monkeys.