Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Mamet to adapt Anne Frank
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/11/david-mamet-to-adapt-the-diary-of-anne-frank-once-again/'>David Mamet to Adapt Diary of Anne Frank</a>

All right, so, when I'm thinking of directors and writers to adapt <em class='bbc'>The Diary of Anne Frank</em> to the big screen for the Disney Corporation, David Mamet's name just doesn't ring a bell. I just can't see Anne Frank and Miep Gies cussing up a story as you find in a typical Mamet play.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
I can't see it. I've been to Anne Frank house, it's something you need experience to fully understand what the Frank family went through. It's not a fluffy story by any means - however, it needs a great deal of subtlety and discretion if produced as a film. That is a truly horrific part of Europe's history.
Don't get me wrong. I can see the Nazis cussing up a storm and then some but the focus should be on the Franks, correct? I don't know. There's something that is already warning me off this film.

-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
Absolutely. Not wanting to appear pro-Nazi by any means, I really don't feel that portraying them as the profanity spitting types is appropriate either. Hitler and the Nazi party and regime were screwed up in many, many ways, but supporters of his idealologies were actually encouraged to live wholesome and somewhat clean lives - they relished pure thoughts and (allegedly) pure lives. I am not a Nazi supporter, but I don't condone the idea of someone like Mamet taking such a pure and innocent story of the Dutch holocaust and turning into blood, gore and violences.
Quote:Absolutely. Not wanting to appear pro-Nazi by any means, I really don't feel that portraying them as the profanity spitting types is appropriate either. Hitler and the Nazi party and regime were screwed up in many, many ways, but supporters of his idealologies were actually encouraged to live wholesome and somewhat clean lives - they relished pure thoughts and (allegedly) pure lives.

I am not a Nazi supporter, but I don't condone the idea of someone like Mamet taking such a pure and innocent story of the Dutch holocaust and turning into blood, gore and violences.
Actually, to be fair to Mamet, his drams aren't typically full of blood, gore and violence. That would be Quenten Tarantino. Mamet's dramas typically are full of machismo and vulgar language.

It's more troubling, to me, that this project is a Disney production, but that's a story of a different stripe

-- B. Bragg

What's troubling to me is that it's been done already. Why do we need yet another remake? How about a few original ideas, Hollywood folk?
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I Came, I Saw, I Skedaddled

Kids shouldn't drink with monkeys.
Quote:What's troubling to me is that it's been done already. Why do we need yet another remake? How about a few original ideas, Hollywood folk?
So I'm thinking you won't be watching the revamped <em class='bbc'>Melrose Place</em> then? Tongue

-- B. Bragg

Quote:So I'm thinking you won't be watching the revamped <em class='bbc'>Melrose Place</em> then? Tongue
In the queue after the new and improved <em class='bbc'>Beverly Hills 90210</em>.

Revamped? What was wrong with the old <em class='bbc'>Melrose Place </em>vamps?
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > So I'm thinking you won't be watching the revamped <em class='bbc'>Melrose Place</em> then? Tongue
In the queue after the new and improved <em class='bbc'>Beverly Hills 90210</em>.

Revamped? What was wrong with the old <em class='bbc'>Melrose Place </em>vamps?
</blockquote> Oh, snap. I've got an idea with that. Let's merge a modern <em class='bbc'>Melrose Place</em> with a modern <em class='bbc'>Buffy the Vampire Slayer</em>. Then we got all the steaminess of <em class='bbc'>Melrose Place</em> with the undead of <em class='bbc'>Buffy</em>.

I can see the title now: <em class='bbc'>Melrose Place: Home of the Vampire Slayer</em>

-- B. Bragg

I'm sure adding Heather Locklear to the cast did have an undead element ...
Hey, just cause she was already cast as Miep Gies, Fudgie . . . .

-- B. Bragg

See? Something fresh (relatively, we ARE talking about the undead). Was that so hard? NO! Take note, Hollywood types. And if this gets floated without an SPer's name attached, you'll be hearing from our attorneys. Or Curly.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

Just so you know, my understanding of the Dutch name Miep -I believe it's interchangable with something like bimbo or dumb blonde ... Entirely appropriate naming there CR.
The only good thing about Beverly Hills 90210 is that if some stupid website only accepts American zip codes, you know one to fill in WinkOh well, as long as Anne Frank doesn't get chased by undead Nazis...
Quote:The only good thing about Beverly Hills 90210 is that if some stupid website only accepts American zip codes, you know one to fill in Wink

Oh well, as long as Anne Frank doesn't get chased by undead Nazis...
OMG! It'll be like <em class='bbc'>Pride and Prejudice and Zombies</em>! The new movie can be <em class='bbc'>Anne Frank: Vampire Hunter</em>! Or, and here would be a twist. Anne Frank can be the vampire, on the run from the Nazis who want her to create a super grup of Nazi vampires. It can be <em class='bbc'>The Vampire Diaries of Anne Frank</em>.

-- B. Bragg

OK, forget what I said earlier. All of the good ideas have been taken.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

Hm...now what about a zombie-uprising in a concentration camp? :unsure:
Quote:Hm...now what about a zombie-uprising in a concentration camp? :unsure:
And, and, the Warsaw Uprising led by a pack of werewolves!

Dude, this stuff writes itself!

-- B. Bragg

I can't wait for the remake. Maybe they can get it out before the initial release.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

And Hitler abducted by a flying saucer in the end.