Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meet The First Stealth Starbucks: Seattle's 5th Av
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://consumerist.com/5331218/meet-the-first-stealth-starbucks-seattles-5th-avenue-e-coffee-and-tea'>Link via the consumerist</a>

Quote:A few weeks ago, we shared a story about Starbucks opening new stores that are not branded "Starbucks." The idea is to recreate the flavor and feel of the independent coffeehouses your neighborhood used to have before Starbucks came along. Shortly after that, the first non-Starbucks Starbucks, 5th Avenue E Coffee and Tea in Seattle, opened for business. What's it like?
Links from the article page include, "Let PSFK take you inside, with a photo gallery and interview with Starbucks "Director of Global Concept Design," Liz Muller."

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
I'm not quite sure if I like that idea...it'll fool the consumer and will put even more truly local coffee houses out of business. Of course from a Starbucks point of view it's a great idea. Actually, some people here are excited, because the first* Starbucks in the country has opened its doors.*Well, it's actually the second, but the first is behind customs at Amsterdam airport, so doesn't really count.
Frightening concept when you look at the bigger picture. Disguised monopolies.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I Came, I Saw, I Skedaddled

Kids shouldn't drink with monkeys.
Quote:Actually, some people here are excited, because the first* Starbucks in the country has opened its doors.

*Well, it's actually the second, but the first is behind customs at Amsterdam airport, so doesn't really count.
That's true. Dratted Customs!

I find this unbranding, or change of branding a bit odd. RadioShack becomes The Shack? Okay, but I'm going to call it RadioShack. Kentucky Fried Chicken is now just KFC? Nope, I'm always think Kentucky, fried, and chiken when I hear KFC used.

And don't get me started on Willis Tower :glare:
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
Quote:*Well, it's actually the second, but the first is behind customs at Amsterdam airport, so doesn't really count.
stupid American tourists Tongue

not appreciating dutch coffee...

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
Quote:I find this unbranding, or change of branding a bit odd.
Unbranding occurs because of public backlash. Either the company did something morally or legally wrong and is attempting to divorce itself from the past, is trying to disassociate itself from something viewed as unsavory (the "fried" in Kentucky Fried Chicken), or the company is overexposed in the public eye and needs to distance itself from its own image that has become cliche or stereotyped.

Willis Tower is the result of naming rights for everything being for sale. Frankly I've given up trying to keep track of the constantly-changing ballpark names. They destroy any sense of continuity, companies are quickly forgotten when rights expire, and I'm also more than a little resentful that companies choose to squander the money on a temporary name rather that something more worthwhile, like lining their shareholders pockets for instance.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

Both are really a pain in the butt. I suppose the first can be chalked to the short attention span of most people. If t hasn't happened in the last 15 minutes, its forgotten. People will remember the disaster/wrongdoing, but not that names were changed. As for the other, it's just a pain to have to remember what's what
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > Actually, some people here are excited, because the first* Starbucks in the country has opened its doors.

*Well, it's actually the second, but the first is behind customs at Amsterdam airport, so doesn't really count.
That's true. Dratted Customs!

I find this unbranding, or change of branding a bit odd. RadioShack becomes The Shack? Okay, but I'm going to call it RadioShack. Kentucky Fried Chicken is now just KFC? Nope, I'm always think Kentucky, fried, and chiken when I hear KFC used.

And don't get me started on Willis Tower :glare:
</blockquote> In fairness, not all that long ago I was looking at RadioShack thinking "wow, that name's outdated. who buys radios anymore?"

And I also read what was up with Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC was that the state of Kentucky was charging to have "Kentucky" in a companies name ... so they dropped it.

But I think Kentucky Fried Chicken is back, no? Even so, I'll still prolly call it KFC forever.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

Quote:In fairness, not all that long ago I was looking at RadioShack thinking "wow, that name's outdated. who buys radios anymore?"
It actually got the name Radio Shack from the old days when people would go there to buy components to build their own shortwave radios and other electronic projects. I stopped dealing with them when they no longer stocked that stuff and the clerk didn't even know what a bridge rectifier was...but still wanted to sell me a phone.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose