Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wait, how do i find a job?
The job market is tough. No one seems to know it better than our nation's fresh-faced recent college graduates. They've discovered a harsh truth?despite hounding alumni for donations, colleges aren't able to find jobs for them. One recent college grad in New York City is fighting back, since she graduated three whole months ago and her alma mater hasn't found her a job yet.

Apparently, the career services office at Monroe College gives preferential treatment to students with good GPAs. In her complaint, Trina Thompson of the Bronx wrote:

Quote:I recently graduated with my Bachelors in April 2009. I am seeking a reinbursement of $70,000 from my tutision because the Office of Career Advancement Information Technology Couselors are not making sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call the graduates that recently finished college for a interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me. I am also seeking $2,000 for the stress I have been going through looking for a Full Time job on my own.
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/index.html'>CNN Newslink</a>

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/08/03/thompson.pdf'>Court docs, via Cnn</a>

Course, if you look at her court document, you can see the following words mispelt: counselors, tutition, and reimbursement.

Looks like uni didn't prepare her for RL...

BANJECT RL!

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
Quote:The job market is tough. No one seems to know it better than our nation's fresh-faced recent college graduates. They've discovered a harsh truth?despite hounding alumni for donations, colleges aren't able to find jobs for them. One recent college grad in New York City is fighting back, since she graduated three whole months ago and her alma mater hasn't found her a job yet.

Apparently, the career services office at Monroe College gives preferential treatment to students with good GPAs. In her complaint, Trina Thompson of the Bronx wrote:

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >I recently graduated with my Bachelors in April 2009. I am seeking a reinbursement of $70,000 from my tutision because the Office of Career Advancement Information Technology Couselors are not making sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call the graduates that recently finished college for a interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me. I am also seeking $2,000 for the stress I have been going through looking for a Full Time job on my own.
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/index.html'>CNN Newslink</a>

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/08/03/thompson.pdf'>Court docs, via Cnn</a>

Course, if you look at her court document, you can see the following words mispelt: counselors, tutition, and reimbursement.

Looks like uni didn't prepare her for RL...

BANJECT RL!
</blockquote> I think it's important to point out that I've seen plenty of ads for Monroe College in the subway. It seems like a not very reputable institution if you ask me.

Kinda like a University of Phoenix in NYC.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

uni of phoenix is everywhere...even up here in canada.i keep seeing ads for devry, how legit are they?

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

DeVry is pretty legit. They're strong in the trades, auto mechanics, and now computers.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
Quote:I think it's important to point out that I've seen plenty of ads for Monroe College in the subway. It seems like a not very reputable institution if you ask me.

Kinda like a University of Phoenix in NYC.
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.thebigmoney.com/articles/money-trail/2009/08/12/sue-school#comment-form'>Via Slate</a>

Boy, you ain't kidding Tsu. It's a bloody vocational type school. the secretary school, with an upgraded fancy name. Though apparently you can get master's degrees from it???

Quote:A description of Monroe that you will not find on its Web site is one that Thompson herself-who spoke to me reluctantly after the drubbing she's taken in the press-proffered: "a vocational school." Monroe is what the education industry euphemistically terms a "proprietary institution" or, in ordinary language, a for-profit school. It is accredited as a college by the regional organization responsible for these things-a fact that an offended Monroe spokesman confronted with Thompson's words insisted meant Monroe must be a college and not merely a "vocational school." But it does not by any stretch of the imagination exist for the sake of the advancement of learning. The relationship between Monroe and its students is more bluntly commercial: The students pay Monroe money in the hope that it will increase their chances of landing a decent job in a world in which the magic words bachelor's degree have become a requirement.

For the education it offers, Monroe charges tuition of $5,872 a semester (including a $400 "administrative fee"). For comparison, the City University of New York, whose Lehman College campus is not far from Monroe and offers the range of academic programs in the arts and sciences that most people expect of a college, charges $2,300 for in-state students; the local community colleges cost less. The education that Monroe offers is geared toward what is ostensibly valuable in the work world. Trina Thompson told me that her courses included classes in Word, Excel, and Web design; in the course catalog, you'll find even more basic offerings, including a college credit course in "keyboarding."

Quote:

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/1558670.html'>Students in Dallas are now suing</a>

Quote:Saying they were cheated out of money and an education, 13 former students of Everest College have sued the for-profit school, accusing it of misrepresenting job placement rates, the quality of education and the ability to transfer credits to four-year nonprofit universities.

The suit, filed Tuesday in Dallas County district court, asks for unspecified damages against Everest; its parent company, Corinthian Colleges in Santa Ana, Calif.; and others.

The Everest students were enrolled in the criminal justice or the medical billing and coding programs. Everest College officials said those programs offered at its campuses in Arlington, Fort Worth and Dallas are specialized career offerings whose credits may not transfer. That information is disclosed to students repeatedly before they enroll, Dom Montalvo, regional vice president of operations, said in a statement.

He also said, "Everest provides extensive career placement assistance, but no school can guarantee employment."

~snip~

But the suit, filed by Dallas attorney Julie Johnson, alleges that many of the school?s teachers were unqualified or uninterested in teaching and that turnover was high. At the Arlington campus, an instructor stopped attending a course and was never replaced, the suit says. When students complained in September that classes lacked rigor, they were told that they would have to take them again at their expense, according to the suit.

~snip~

Officials at nonprofit colleges and universities have said they will not accept Everest credits.
beginning to wonder if this might begin a crackdown on these private schools...

Quote: