Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Prequel/Sequel
So I was getting my daily dose of <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/'>Irregular Webcomic</a> (which really isn't as he updates it daily. Maybe 'irregular' means somehting different in Australia) and saw today's poll. This got me thinking.

We have all seen a lot of movies, some bad, some good. We've also seen a lot of bad prequels and sequels as filmmakers, having made a bundle on the first, decide to milk that franchise for all that it's worth. The current <em class='bbc'>Star Trek</em> prequel has me very worried, again.

So, what I want to know is, which of the movie prequel/sequels you think is the absolut worst. Then, if you want, tell us all why.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
I think that the worst one was Jewel of the Nile a sequel to Romancing the stone.I hated the story so bad I wanted to walk out but my wife said we paid so we stay. :blink:
Former Delegate of The South Pacific
i thought most movies, actor(ess)s need to sign a 3 movie deal, just in case it does need sequels...

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
Mission Impossible 2 comes to mind. Although Tom Cruise trying to show off on a motorcycle was hilarious, so there was entertainment value but probably not as intended. Then again, I guess you could expect that beforehand... I recently saw a trailer for Fast & Furious whatever number they are at now, it looked really really bad, but since I never saw one of the others of that series, I cannot comment if it is <em class='bbc'>worse</em>. I don't watch a lot of movies anyway.

Hm, I just saw that there is a poll. And that speed 2 is listed. I think I'll go for that one...
The trouble with a lot of sequels/prequels is the hype behind them. The original movie may have rocked, so everyone wants to see the sequel. Add time to the equation, and you get that mass Star Wars hype of the late 1990s. Pardon me, but no movie could possible manage to satisfy the tastes whetted by a hype of 15 years. That the movies sucked in oh-so-many ways didn't help.

On the same line of thinking, if the original movie was rotten, like <em class='bbc'>Fast and the Furious </em>or <em class='bbc'>Triple X</em>, do we really expect any improvement in the sequel? You can add to that the whoel <em class='bbc'>Star Trek</em> line. Some of those movies were just awful. Others were well done. Still others really fit with the way the series progressed, like <em class='bbc'>Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home</em>. Not the best film, but that could have been an extended episode on the original series, so it worked.

Som movies you just have to look at the concept and say "ridiculous" <em class='bbc'>Speed II</em> fits there. how dumb is that storyline? Another one (and I didn't include it on the list so you all wouldn't think I have terrible taste in movies) was <em class='bbc'>Under Seige II</em>. The first movie was bad ad the second? Dear God, they were on a <strong class='bbc'>train</strong>, for Pete's sake! How hard is it, really, to track down where a <strong class='bbc'>train</strong> is headed? They really cannot go off the rail very well, can they?

For me, the worst was <em class='bbc'>Godfather III</em>. Not so much for the storyline (hint, don't pick up hitchhiking priests in Siciliy. They might turn out to be hitmen), which fit with both the earlier movies. No, it ws the bad acting by Sophia Coppolla and Andy Garcia that stuck me. Francis Ford Coppolla would give these extreme close-ups of his daughter and all I could say was "Wow, her lips are off-center there." Quality control was way off as well. The Corleone's drive into New York City and the rear window light goes on inthe cars. Umm, the film was set in 1979. Those didn't exist until the late 1980's. Could you not have removed those? Finally, and this is just me, if setting the film in the modern day, either change the names of real public figures, or get the date right. Opening sequence, Michael Corleone is getting a medal from Pope Paul VI in 1979. I turned to my buddy and said, wait, he was dead in 1979. It's called fact-check, people. Fact check!!!!

So, Francis Ford Coppolla, no matter how shitty other sequels may turn out to be, <em class='bbc'>Godfather III</em> has to be the worst.

-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable
it's like speed, but on a boat!

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

That's why its in the team picture of bad, bad sequels

-- B. Bragg

Well, to be honest, movies like Speed or Under Siege are not made for the great story line. Totally ridiculous action scenes are in there for the entertainment value. If they add to the story line, it's a nice bonus. But even that can be taken too far, e.g. Mission Impossible.
Quote:I hated the story so bad I wanted to walk out but my wife said we paid so we stay. :blink:
I thought movie theaters gave refunds if you left before the first half hour of the movie had elapsed.

Quote:

I just heard a nasty rumour they're talking about a Drop Dead Fred remake. I think that's a bigger crime that a bad prequel/sequel. Remaking a classic.
They're also remaking <em class='bbc'>Nightmare on Elm Street</em>. Why not another *yawn* sequel?

-- B. Bragg

Quote:They're also remaking <em class='bbc'>Nightmare on Elm Street</em>. Why not another *yawn* sequel?
you have to reboot the series eventually, you know Tongue

Quote:

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > They're also remaking <em class='bbc'>Nightmare on Elm Street</em>. Why not another *yawn* sequel?
you have to reboot the series eventually, you know Tongue
</blockquote> Really, you don't. Honest. You don't

-- B. Bragg

Hey, after all, we're just repeating the same 7 stories over and over anyways...so everything's a reboot. <a class='bbc_url' href='http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=210539'>Link</a> or <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2366/what-are-the-seven-basic-literary-plots'>from the straight dope</a>

Quote:

I used to like that cartoon <a class='bbc_url' href='http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~ifex534/main.html'>Reboot</a> from way back when . . but movie franchises? Nope. Give me a new plot every once and a while

-- B. Bragg

I love the Triple X / Transporter series'. They are my true guilty pleasure. I laugh through most of them. Rammenstein (or however it's spelled) during the opening of Triple X or the black suit with the skinny tie. Brillant.I think the worst for me was Star Wars I. I even did the around the block at the movie theatre at Midnight for the damn thing. The kid who played Andi was sooo annoying. I could at least blame the animator for Jar Jar Binks. And Matrix 3 was so stupid that it almost made me cry.
A sword is useless in the hands of a coward - Nichiren Daishonin

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We may not see eye to eye, but we can speak heart to heart
Quote:I used to like that cartoon <a class='bbc_url' href='http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~ifex534/main.html'>Reboot</a> from way back when . . but movie franchises? Nope. Give me a new plot every once and a while
you're aware that they're rebooting Reboot?

Quote:

It's all about the money, and the belief that if something worked the first time it should work well enough the second (third, fourth, fifth) time to be profitable.Why the large spate of remakes lately? They worked the first time, the script is already there, and there's a whole generation of people out there who didn't see the original.Cheap and safe.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

I Came, I Saw, I Skedaddled

Kids shouldn't drink with monkeys.
Quote:Why the large spate of remakes lately? They worked the first time, the script is already there, and there's a whole generation of people out there who didn't see the original.

Cheap and safe.
that also explains why producers love the never-ending story? you can keep adding on...

Quote:

It's also probably good to differentiate between "sequel" and "franchise".James Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, most of the superhero films are franchises. Like Mav pointed out you've got a never-ending story, or story arcs that cross several films. You also have established characters who you can plug into different (or not) plots, and in cases like Bond, minimal need to follow continuity. Sequels/prequels are theoretically more stringent in the continuity department but too often they recycle the plot of the first film in an attempt to replicate the elements that made the first such a success. They usually fail. Ask yourself how many giant Great White Sharks are really roaming the eastern US coast? How many times Officer John McClane can get into bizarre hostage situations? When plausibility goes out the window, you're doomed.Titantic II, anyone? Saving Private Ryan Again?
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' > I used to like that cartoon <a class='bbc_url' href='http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~ifex534/main.html'>Reboot</a> from way back when . . but movie franchises? Nope. Give me a new plot every once and a while
you're aware that they're rebooting Reboot?
</blockquote> That rocks! I loved that show.

I know, the franchise and the ticket toward easy money fuels the film industry. Maybe that's why I've been perusing the Indie films lately

-- B. Bragg

OK, I made a very painful discovery yesterday, and it's no wonder that the film industry is whining that no one goes to the movies any more. Here we go...Mrs. Polky and I went to see a matinee yesterday. Not horribly unusual. The price for the two of us was $15. We bought a medium popcorm, medium beverage, a box of Milk Duds and a pack of Twizzlers for $17.25. Mildly outrageous until you factor in that the volume of everything but the soda had been noticibly reduced. For instance the medium popcorn was now the size of a small. The small was less than you get in one of those single-serving microwave bags. Ah, but my ire is not directed at the theaters, and Michu can probably back me up on this, because the theaters are forced to make their money on concessions, because distribution deals are so heavily weighted toward the studios. For projecte blockbusters I've heard that theaters won't actually see any of the box office take until several weeks into the run. They're left with surviving on concessions.So is it any wonder that a lot of people, including myself, tend to wait for films to appear on DVD? I can purchase the film for the same price as two mantiee tickets, view it any time I like, and save a fortune on concessions. However this still benefits the studio while harming the theaters. I've got more on this but Mrs. Polky is hovering and wants her turn at the PC.
Who, Me?

Veni, Vidi, Vamoose