Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University & College - Ways to cut spending....
Quote:It's a little tricky; at any time, the teacher might deploy a surprise reading assignment. Until you can obtain a permanent copy, ask the TA to make copies of the first few assignments (tell them you added the class last-second).
Well, if you know where you can source it from in case you do need it, I don't see how this can be tricky.

And as I said before, borrowing the books from students who are one or two years ahead of you can save a lot of money.
I used to wait until I had my syllabus in hand before I bought any of my books. Sometimes there's only a few chapters and I'd weight if it was cheaper just to copy what I needed. Also, profs are fairly honest about what they'll cover and how important the book is. In CA, college is relatively cheap -- 2-year Community college is about 21 dollars a credit hour (no, I'm not kidding), but books can cost over 300 bucks per class. Crazy.
A sword is useless in the hands of a coward - Nichiren Daishonin

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We may not see eye to eye, but we can speak heart to heart
We photocopy books here (I think it might be illegal, but we use many foreign books that are 1) hard to find, 2) horrendously expensive, and 3) only 1-2 copies exist in the entire hospital/college.)
Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
Quote:I used to wait until I had my syllabus in hand before I bought any of my books. Sometimes there's only a few chapters and I'd weight if it was cheaper just to copy what I needed. Also, profs are fairly honest about what they'll cover and how important the book is.

In CA, college is relatively cheap -- 2-year Community college is about 21 dollars a credit hour (no, I'm not kidding), but books can cost over 300 bucks per class. Crazy.
A credit hour...does that represent one hour of studying? In that case $21/hour amounts (based on 1600-something studying hours a year, as I think is the standard for a full time year) to about $32000 a year which I think is an awful lot...
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/'>Budget Bytes</a>
- <a class='bbc_url' href='http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2009/08/beginners-kitchen.html'>list of suggested items to stock.</a>

Quote:There are two things that I will readily admit to: I am broke and I love to eat.

I'm not "cheap" because I do appreciate quality; I just like to be able to have my cake, eat it, AND pay my bills on time.

Balancing your budget and meeting all of your wants and needs is tough. If you haven't already calculated how much you spend on food every month (groceries, eating out and impulse snacks and drinks) you are probably in for an eye-opener. Next to rent or your mortgage, food is probably one of your largest bills. Fortunately, it is also the MOST malleable category in your budget!

We all know that eating out can be expensive, especially if you like good, quality food. Even fast food these days is not exactly cheap (a full fast food meal can cost between $6-$10 dollars... I can eat for almost two days for the amount of money). Cooking for yourself can also be very costly if you don't know what you are doing. Newbie cookers beware! That's why you need me.

The recipes in this blog are SIMPLE, QUICK and SATISFYING. This blog will probably be most useful for those who do not normally cook or have been too afraid to try. I serve up the classics and show how easy, satisfying and inexpensive they can be. If you are a chef or have been cooking for years then, yes, this blog may seem elementary. BUT there is a whole generation, no, a COUPLE of generations that have grown up without simple home cooked meals. Lets bring back the lost art of cooking!
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://supercook.com'>SuperCook</a>

Quote:Supercook is a new recipe search engine that finds recipes you can make with only the ingredients you have at home. To begin, simply start adding ingredients you have in the green box on the top left. The more ingredients you add, the better the results will be.
hopefully this will be helpful for people that need to cook Smile

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Monica Whitlock – BBC “From our own Correspondent”

Nov 7/05 – in reference to actions in Uzbekistan, May 2005.
Mav, that super cook site is the coolest damn thing I've seen. Thanks for the link.
Quote:<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.cracked.com/article_16613_7-college-scholarships-that-require-absolutely-no-talent.html'>Not ideal scholarships</a>
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://consumerist.com/2009/12/weirdest-college-scholarships-ever.html'>More strange scholarships</a>

Quote:ZenCollegeLife hit the books and dug up some wild examples of affirmative action, including scholarships for tall people, the left-handed and psychics.

Those are only a few of the 45 oddball handouts in the story. If you're a student you might actually find a sugar daddy in the piece, but if you've long since graduated, prepare for much wailing and gnashing of teeth when you discover you missed out on the American Fire Sprinkler Association Scholarship, which lets you qualify for $2,000 simply by reading an essay about sprinklers and answering a 10-question quiz.

Quote:

5 hours ago Mavenu hm. I guess I shouldn't point out that Max Barry's not even from America, but is an Australian?

4 hours ago NationStates Moderators When did actual facts or logic have anything to do with idiot spammers?

Change comes not when some group of radical seizes power, that’s just a shift at the top. It comes when Mr. And Mrs. Ordinary make a stand. When the cake shop owner and teacher and the bearer boy come together and say, ‘They are not afraid,’ anymore.

Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >ZenCollegeLife hit the books and dug up some wild examples of affirmative action, including scholarships for tall people, the left-handed and psychics.

</blockquote> I could totally cash in on that one, only have to work on the psychic bit!

That supercook site is pretty awesome indeed Smile
Glad you all liked it.

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/22/health/nutrition/22recipehealth.html'>Few more receipes from the NYTimes</a>

Quote: