Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets
Yesterday, one of our cats died. A short-haired dark gray tuxedo cat. Her name was Two of One. We're Star Trek fans and well, we're not the type to name our pets Fluffy. I arrived in California in February of 1998 and she found my boyfriend in March of that year. They bonded immediately.

My favorite story of her was she loved hunting birds. In fact, that's why my boyfriend got her. Her previous owner was tired of Two (we've forgotten her other name) bringing home dead birds. I'd nothing <strong class='bbc'>but</strong> birds my whole life so I was not happy with her love (and her skill) at killing them.

One morning, my boyfriend asked if I wanted to see Two's latest birdie. There was something in his hands. I was furious, but Craig opened his hands anyway and there was a beautiful feathered badminton shuttlecock, which we call a "birdie" in the States. I laughed. She was so proud. I will always miss her.
A sword is useless in the hands of a coward - Nichiren Daishonin

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We may not see eye to eye, but we can speak heart to heart
My heart gose out to you BB We recently lost our family cat and they are missed terribly.
Former Delegate of The South Pacific
I'm so sorry for your loss. They really get to your heart, don't they?

Thanks and yeah they sure do.
Former Delegate of The South Pacific
<strong class='bbc'>Babes</strong>, I am not much of a cat person, but I do understand your feelings. We take them for granted until they are gone, and then we realize the gigantic hole in our hearts they filled. I know you will always miss Two of One.

Back in April I lost my English Springer Spaniel, <em class='bbc'>Colita</em> (<em class='bbc'>Coli</em> for short). She was a good friend, a loving companion, always happy to see me, and filled me with boundless joy. She taught me so much about life and love. She was 11 years, 2 months and 20 days young when she left me to play frisbee with God. I enjoyed every day of her life, and I still miss her terribly.

When I lost <em class='bbc'>Coli</em> I sort of stopped posting entries on my <a class='bbc_url' href='http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblognew.asp'>WineBlog</a> for a while, then did so with an explanation of my grief. I was flooded with emails of condolances and a few phone calls, and many of them told me about the UC-Davis Pet Support Hotline at 1-800-565-1526. They also have a <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ccah/petloss.cfm'>website</a>. But many more folks told me about a web page that contains a short piece called <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm'>The Rainbow Bridge</a>. If you have lost a beloved pet and have never read this piece, please do so. It sure helped me.

BTW, my <em class='bbc'>Coli</em> had her own <a class='bbc_url' href='http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/coli.asp'>website</a> for about 8 years. Her Epitaph ends with this quote: "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -- Will Rogers, 1897-1935. Every pet owner understands....
A year later and another cat died. This one was "mine." My Maine Coon who used to follow me around everywhere with a stuffed gorilla in his mouth. He'd mew around the house looking for me. Mr. Jerry Garcia. He looked like a bobcat and acted as if he lived with pot smoking Hippies. Very mellow kitty. My boyfriend thinks he got hit by a car, but he's been sick with hyperthyroidism. He may have just died/No gore, just dead in front of the house.Right before I left for Phoenix I took a look at him and had a feeling he wasn't going to be alive when I got home. Told the guys that if Jerry died, it wasn't necessary to put him in the freezer until I got home to see him. They were shocked I said that, but I just had a feeling.Ah well.... no kitty with gorilla mewing at me when I get home from the airport tomorrow..