Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Address to the Assembly
Good day, fellow nations of the South Pacific, distinguished guests, boys and girls, children of all ages.

I?d like to take this time to help shed some light on the process in which the delegate for this region is selected. With the spate of recent challenges to the Delegacy, I believe that now is the proper time to do so.

First, though, let me set the way-back machine to describe the tenure of past delegates to the region as far back as I can trace:

July 2006 ? Present: Fudgetopia

April 2006 ? July 2006: Caer Rialis

March 2006: Goddessness

February 2005 ? March 2006: Caer Rialis

July 2004 ? February 2005: the Shaft

December 2003 ? July 2004: LadyRebels

October 2003 ? December 2003: THE MATT- DUCK

July 2003 -- October 2003: LadyRebels

During this time, we faced one major invasion, defused numerous plots to subvert the region, and revised our Charter twice. We have had to deal with vast numbers of those who would not follow the rules of decorum in our Three Warnings Law; we have had to deal with those who left the region in a public fashion; and, we have had to address concerns on dwindling activity in NS in general.

We are, in short, looking at each of the feeder regions the one with the longest continuing government system, with the greatest continuity in our laws and customs, and the one with the greatest stability.

This stability stems from the fact that, since July 2003, the delegates of the South Pacific understand that, although their power is, under NS rules, absolute, that they rules through the wishes of the people of the South Pacific. The delegates have, each and every one of those listed, voluntarily limited their power, even when advised to rule outside of the laws. Think on this.

In other feeder regions delegates, upon securing their power, treated regional constitutions as mere collections of bits and drawn up new documents, contravening true democratic principles. Delegates have subjected their regions to tyranny, have corrupted democratic traditions, have hurled the NS into struggle, but not in this region. This region truly, above all others, understands what democracy truly is, with a constitutional monarch of its delegate.

This is why, ladies and gentlemen, the South Pacific does not elect its delegate as other regions have. This is why the South Pacific has not been had the intense periods of civil strife, as seen in the North Pacific. This is why the South Pacific has never had the tribunals, such as had been held in the West Pacific. We do not subject our people to delegate elections because we favor the trappings of democracy; we have the real thing.

Think of it. Who may introduce bills in the Assembly? The people of the region. Who votes on bills submitted to the Assembly? The people. Who debates said bills, takes part in regional issues? The people. Who debated and developed the charter of the South Pacific? The people. Not the delegate. Not the government. Not the Old Guard. Not the New Guard. Not the revolutionaries. <strong class='bbc'>The people did.</strong>

Have we had those who have called for elections, as done in other regions? Certainly. When I became delegate, one member left this region in a huff over the process by which I was chosen. However, when we began to debate a new charter in our Great Council of 2006, calls for an elected delegate, as other regions have had, were not introduced.

I think, for all who have come to the South Pacific and assumed that we would be like some of the other feeder regions, it would do all well to read our charter, to read our laws, so as to better understand our processes. No one feeder is the same as the other. We all have our own cultures which developed through the interactions of the people of the region.
I am the milkman of human kindness

And I will bring an extra pint
-- B. Bragg

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people's masters. -- Grover Cleveland

When the laws are used to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government -- Andrew Jackson

"Capitalism takes no prisoners and kills competition where it can." -- Vince Cable