Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chair of Assembly: Role, Duties, Powers Need Definition
Looks good to me Escade.

Here is an update. GR, I tried to cover your point:

The Assembly will be led by the Chair of Assembly.

The Chair of Assembly is responsible for moderating and administrating debate in the assembly.

The Chair of Assembly has the power to draft legislation based on assembly debates and cabinet discussions.

The Chair of Assembly serves as the voice of the assembly in relaying assembly discussions and votes to the cabinet.

The Chair of Assembly is a senior cabinet member and has the same rights accorded to cabinet members.

The Chair of Assembly may hire deputies to assist in administering their various duties.

*The Chair of Assembly reports on assembly discussions for the cabinet and TSP forums and RMB.

The Chair of Assembly promotes assembly discussions on the forums and RMB to encourage a wide base of participation.

~

*I think it would be excelent for us to have summaries or reports of assembly discussion for myself, the cabinet, and to post on the RMB for example.  Just a paragraph (short to mid-length).  However, the CoA may be overwhelmed with this so I added the part about deputies above.

Any more suggestions or edits?

Escade

Delegate

:cake:

The South Pacific

I think we may want to look at this in tandem with the changes being discussed to citizenship/assembly membership.  It is quite possible that the Chair will have new responsibilities if changes are implemented to citizenship.

I think it would be better to vote on these things all at once.

Motion to bring this draft to a vote?

Section 2 - Chair of the Assembly and Duties of the Chair

1. The Assembly will elect for a term of four months a Chair to serve as its presiding officer.
  2. The Chair is responsible for moderating debate, drafting legislation and administering voting procedures in the Assembly.
  3. The Chair is a senior member of the Cabinet and may hire deputies to assist in discharging their various duties.
  4. The Chair will inform and advise the Cabinet on developments in the Assembly.
  5. The Chair will promote Assembly discussions on the forum and RMB to encourage a wide base of participation.
Kris Kringle

Vice Delegate of the South Pacific - 
Forum Administrator
Deputy Minister of Communications and Integration (former) - Minister of Foreign Affairs (former)

Kringle's What? Moment: [01:32] Then let's have breakfasts at night between the Delegate and Vice Delegate
Seconded

Escade

Delegate

The South Pacific

Want to bump this and request people to either discuss the final proposed draft or the one previous and move this forward.

Escade

Delegate

The South Pacific

A minor issue that probably doesn't matter: In Section 2.3, I would suggest "appoint" as an alternative to "hire."

My only other issue with this is that I think the Chair is both a liaison to the Cabinet from the Assembly as well as a liaison from the Cabinet to the Assembly, but I think Section 2.4 really makes him only the former. I'm also not sure why the Chair needs to "inform and advise the Cabinet on developments in the Assembly" when all Cabinet members are already in the Assembly and can see it for themselves. It makes more sense, to me, that the Chair should be informing and advising the Assembly on developments in the Cabinet, via the Assembly's private forum. The Cabinet can already see all Assembly discussions and inform themselves, but the opposite is not true.

Cormac Somerset

[Image: cormacshield.png]

The Brotherhood of Malice

General and Outside World Manager

"Defenderism is dead activity, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living activity, and lives the more, the more activity it sucks." - Me (paraphrasing Karl Marx)

The only problem with that, Cormac, is that releasing information from the cabinet is a slippery slope. To be vague enough that the Chair doesnt loose Cabinet access for releasing private Cabinet discussions, but be detailed enough to actually let the Assembly know whats going on... Maybe we loosen the rules a bit for the Chair to post stuff ONLY in the Private Halls of the Assembly...

The Confederation of Rebel-topian Nations

[spoiler="Positions - Past and Present"]

Forum Administrator

TSP Chair of the Assembly (12/13 - Present)

TSP's Craziest (12/12 - 3/13 -- 8/13 - Present)
Former Vice Delegate under Belschaft (8/13 - 12/13)

Former General in the NSA (5/13 - 8/13)

Former Minister of Security in TSP (9/12 - 12/12)

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in TSP (5/12 - 9/12)

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="CRN Member Nations"]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]
Farengeto is my new best friend!!!!

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

I definitely think it should be limited to the Private Halls. I also wouldn't be averse to some mechanism for the Cabinet to classify certain matters related to external affairs (FA and Military) and security, which the Chair wouldn't be able to release to the Assembly.

I don't know, I'm just proposing ideas here and this may not be a great one. The Cabinet needs to be able to have candid discussions that aren't going to be available for all to see, in order to best formulate policy -- particularly on external affairs and security.

Cormac Somerset

"Defenderism is dead activity, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living activity, and lives the more, the more activity it sucks." - Me (paraphrasing Karl Marx)

For what it's worth, we have a law that requires the Cabinet to regularly release unclassified threads. We've run into technical difficulties implementing it, though.

If not enough information is released after we figure out the technical problems, I would support an Assembly consultation of what qualifies a thread to be released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: wwzB8Av.png]
tsp
minister of foreign affairs

Edited. I think the original point of 2.4 was more of CoA giving the cabinet a regular update on progress on Assembly proceedings. I wonder if we should still add something to the effect of regular reports\updates for a general audience (i.e. what the assembly has done in the past two weeks or so). 

1. The Assembly will elect for a term of four months a Chair to serve as its presiding officer.
  2. The Chair is responsible for moderating debate, drafting legislation and administering voting procedures in the Assembly in a timely manner.
  3. The Chair is a senior member of the Cabinet and may appoint deputies to assist in discharging their various duties.
  4. The Chair will inform and advise the Assembly and will inform them in the Private Halls of Cabinet discussions that have been approved by the cabinet for release.
  5. The Chair will promote Assembly discussions on the forum and RMB to encourage a wide base of participation.

I made some edits, please refine where needed.

Escade

Delegate

The South Pacific

Looks good to me. I motion to vote.

Cormac Somerset

Still dont think the Assembly needs the Chair to inform them what the Cabinet is doing. Esentially, thats a cabinet statement on what they're discussing/working on... Most of those ideas will be released to the assembly in the form of treaty or general discussions and cabinet statements. Most of which really revolves around FA.The MoA doesnt really inform the Assembly what missions have been run, the MoRA doesnt release their information to the assembly, and the Delegate/VD really doesnt have much to release.

The Confederation of Rebel-topian Nations

[spoiler="Positions - Past and Present"]

Forum Administrator

TSP Chair of the Assembly (12/13 - Present)

TSP's Craziest (12/12 - 3/13 -- 8/13 - Present)
Former Vice Delegate under Belschaft (8/13 - 12/13)

Former General in the NSA (5/13 - 8/13)

Former Minister of Security in TSP (9/12 - 12/12)

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in TSP (5/12 - 9/12)

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="CRN Member Nations"]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]
Farengeto is my new best friend!!!!

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Actually, I think that must have been backwarded. What I wanted was for the CoA to do an update for the assembly and RMB, etc. with a summary of what has happened in the Assembly for that month. Like an update basically. 

Does that make sense?

The report as I think of it (could be monthly) would include the discussions that took place (basically a one sentence summary), those that were motioned to vote, the result.

This way citizens on the forums or RMB could read the quick update and start getting used to the kinds of things that happen in the Assembly. Its also a lovely way to observe our legislation and how it works. 

Escade

Delegate

The South Pacific

2. The Chair is responsible for moderating debate, drafting legislation and administering voting procedures in the Assembly in a timely manner.
  3. The Chair is a senior member of the Cabinet and may appoint deputies to assist in discharging their various duties.
  4. The Chair will inform and advise the Assembly and produce monthly reports tracking Assembly business. 
  5. The Chair will promote Assembly discussions on the forum and RMB to encourage a wide base of participation

Rebel how does it look now?

Escade

Delegate

The South Pacific