Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hire me!
here's the first draft of my cover letter....September 9, 2003.I am interested in the position as advertised on the Charity Village website. I bring to this job a love of working with children and a growing tome of experience. I believe that some of the greatest learning can come from play. Because of this, many of my lessons centre around games and fun activities that will teach. I am a recent graduate of the University of Windsor Faculty of Education. While there, I taught many different grades and in many circumstances. My focus there, was on the primary grades. Teaching in the Greater Essex County District School Board gave me a great opportunity to teach in a multi-cultural setting. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenges and rewards of teaching a diverse class. While teaching those classes, my focus has been on the similarities between all people while celebrating the differences of the room. I have also had some experience with a wide range of exceptional children. Looking to aid their needs has been one of the most rewarding parts of my teacher training. During my practicals, I taught and worked with children who were MLD, BD, and ESL. While in the library at Eastwood Public School, I taught a writer?s workshop class to many of the children in special education. I also had the opportunity to aid a child with Autism. I have also earned experience while a volunteer. During the 2001 - 2002 school year I volunteered with the Brain Teaser?s after school homework club. There I taught Language Arts and Math to three Grade Two students. I have volunteered at my church for Sunday School and have taught many of the grades there, with focus on the primary and juniour grades. Most currently I have volunteered with Frontier College through the University of Toronto and am awaiting a placement.I have a great interest in languages, obtaining a university minor in German. While in high school, I earned two OAC credits in French. Currently I am pursuing my interest in American Sign Language. I look forward to hearing from you.how bout it? :lol:
I have a couple of points for you (please see these only as my suggestions - others may disagree).

1. I would be more specific as to what the position is that you are actually applying for - they may have other positions on their website and so be confused as to which one you want

Quote:Because of this, many of my lessons centre around games and fun activities that will teach.
Don't start a sentence with "because of this". I would suggest "due to this" instead.

Quote:I am a recent graduate of the University of Windsor Faculty of Education. While there, I taught many different grades and in many circumstances. My focus there, was on the primary grades. Teaching in the Greater Essex County District School Board gave me a great opportunity to teach in a multi-cultural setting. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenges and rewards of teaching a diverse class. While teaching those classes, my focus has been on the similarities between all people while celebrating the differences of the room.
I would try to use different words for teach, teaching and taught - its a tad repetitive in this paragraph. For example "Teaching in the Greater Essex..." could be changed to "Working in the Greater Essex...". I would grab a thesaurus for this and substitute words till it flows well.

Quote:During my practicals, I taught and worked with children who were MLD, BD, and ESL.
I would spell these out, just in case the person reading your letter is not familiar with these abbreviations.

Quote:I have also earned experience while a volunteer.
I would reword this, say to "I have also gained experience through volunteering at various organisations."

Quote:Most currently I have volunteered with Frontier College through the University of Toronto and am awaiting a placement.
I would use "currently" on its own here or "most recently" if you are no longer volunteering there, rather than "most currently".

Quote:While in high school, I earned two OAC credits in French.
Again I would expand this abbreviation.

8. I would put something like this as your closing: "Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss this (put position in here) with you in person. I can be reached on (phone number) or via voicemail at that number.

9. Finally, make sure there are absolutely no spelling mistakes (my spelling is lousy so I can't really help there!).

Ok sorry for being padantic! :eyes: Hope this helps and you get the job!!! Big Grin
sorry. i was just a bit frustrated. like i wrote that was my first draft. this was after my word processor managed to eat my resume twice..... :glare: it is a generic cover letter i can use with most places i'll be applying to.sorry. this whole thread was my selfish attempt to let off steam. Wink
Sorry dude, I think I missed what you were doing :wacko: Now I feel a tad silly...
While we're pimping ourselvs out... Anyone know of an IT job NOT located in CA?
Binky you did a great job and if Bistmath did not want feed back why would Bisty ask for it, btw you hit all the major points there Binky that is coolBTW Bisty, honestly a general use document is great to have but remeber that having personal touches in it makes a little bit of difference,and also you might want to include your email address, just a thought.
Dredd, I'd suggest Indiana, but I don't know of any jobs and I'm not sure how comfortable you are with being in the middle of nowhere, but connected to everywhere... Huh ...don't think that made sense, even to me...
Aurellis,

I've lived in worse places (pronounces: Honduras, El Salvador, Cuba, Victorville) Wink

I don't care WHERE it is, so long as I'm not in a state that says it's okay to be here illegaly, and hell we'll even <strong class='bbc'>reward</strong> you by giving you a state drivers license and maybe allow you to vote... for those of you in CA that are sickened by this as much as I am go to <a class='bbc_url' href='http://saveourlicense.com'>http://saveourlicense.com</a>

Dredd
Right now, I'm just riding things out until I move back to Louisiana in June. And I'm not renewing my license during that time... no worries. B)
why? *shakes her head in disbelief* good gods.dredd, move to canada man.