Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Refusal of Ballot be Allowed?
I was thinking about the way we vote for the positions on the cabinet. Why is there no where where one can refuse thier ballot? I think there should be a space for a voter to vote, not against one candidate but against all of them. If the abstention is put into place, the voters vote is still counted, but not for any candidate. This may keep our reporting voters high, while allowing for a true measure of their feelings on the candidates. I believe that if the voters think that no one is good enough, they should be given a space to say just that. I would like to think that I am voted in because the constituancy likes what I have done for the SP, not because they were forced to."Dee Fault" are not the two sweetest words in my vocabulary. Wink
what if the ppl vote more so against all canidates?
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

don't know. never seems to happen here. at least we'll find out how the constituency feels. Perhaps we go looking for alternate candidates?hope i'm not stepping on anyone's toes. is this a dept of justice thing?
If their is a way to do it, maybe their could be a space for the voter to put the name of a nation registered on this board on the ballot. It would be a way that a nation can voice who they want in theh position instead of just the nations that aren't shy who put themselves on the ballot. I don't know if you can do it, but it's just an idea I had.
The best thing would be to provide space for a write-in, in addition to the option to abstain completely... unfortunately, I don't see any way to do that and still preserve voter anonymity.
that's true.what if a nation is voted in who doesn't want to do the job?
I think I put my two cents in on this issue in an older post, but I'm going to sound off again so I don't have to go back and look everywhere for it.I think that there should be an "abstain" option for when someone believes that the two candidates are not good enough. If there is a majority abstention, then the election starts over one more time. More candidates can enter, but the new election only takes a week. During this week, the Delegate should appoint and interm officer to take over things temporarily. If there still is a majority abstention on the ballot after the second election, then either the interm officer will stay in position until the next election, or the Delegate can appoint another officer.I'm pretty sure that there are holes in this somewhere. If you find any, let me know.
alright, when this issue was brought up during the first elections by Imrie, i remember i was against it for some reason and now i remember.if you don't like the candidates running, you can run for the position. if you don't want the position, you shouldn't be able to keep screwing the vote up until someone you like runs. If anything that would make the voting more of a popularity contest than anything. For if someone feels they can do better than the proposals set fourth by the already running candidates, they can run.Point blank. At least, these are my feelings.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

I agree with T. If you dont like the candidates, insead of whining, run for the position yourself. If you dont like the candidates it is possible others will not either. Either way this make for a great election.
While at first glance, the idea of an 'abstain' vote seems not bad, I think Tsunamy has a point here.Furthermore, in all the countries I know of the democratic system, blank votes = abstention = nil vote. Which means that such a vote simply does not change the final result. It only affects participation. Voting 'abstain' simply comes back to not voting at all. I agree this is not really good because it just wipes out the 'refusal' vote. But think of implications of counting the 'abstentionist party' in the final result: there would be empty seats at the Assembly, and if the 'abstain' vote got a majority in some places, a part of the people would not have any representative, which would mean starting over another election again, which is simply stupid, because it leads to politics promising more and more to get the abstentionists to vote for them, and finally this ends up who knows how, but certainly with a big deception for everyone - politics who have promised the world and can't maintain their promises, and people just a bit more disappointed by their politics, and finally more abstention at the next election.So I don't think adding an 'asbtain' vote is good. If you don't like candidates, don't vote or run for the seat yourself.
If you'll note, I only put on there that there is only one more election. That way there is no endless cycle and there can be a definite end. If it is not decided then, the delegate appoints the permanent position or the temp just carries over.
I agree with CL. Abstention votes only lead to more uncertainity and difficulty when it comes to counting and to the confidence had in the election. In all honesty if someone doesn't like any of the candidates, why would they vote at all? And maybe it would urge them into becoming more involved with the region's government themselves (ie running at the next election).While i see Aurellis' point that it would not be an ongoing election circle, it would still lead to instability in the region (which from what i understand from the forum is the last thing thing SP needs after the fiascos prior to LR becoming delegate) due to positions being unfilled for longer periods or shifting of the guard - ie from the previous officer to the interim officer to the new officer elect.
i think if the delgate appointed someone they would be accused of rigging the election according to the rest of the region.**side note, we can switch to e-mail voting if we feel that it better. however, there is more risk in voter fraud. yes, the counter would know how voted for who, but someone inparticle would have to tally the vote...just a thot
===

-tsu

Why would we want to tally the "abstain" votes? To abstain means to withhold so to me that would mean that if you don't like the candidates, don't vote.That's my $.02 -- Dredd
abstention is a little different. right now we can't tell if the voter is refusing to vote because they're apathetic or if they truly dislike the candidates.i want this in to keep our candidates good. if we have to face the possibility of voter wroth (ie voting none of the above) it will keep us active and receptive.
Tongue Tongue i still think its silly
===

-tsu

Quote:::SNIP::  abstention is a little different.  right now we can't tell if the voter is refusing to vote because they're  apathetic or if they truly dislike the candidates. ::SNIP::
While I see your point, abstention should only serve as a semi-formal protest to the balot at hand. If there are more <strong class='bbc'>YES</strong> votes than <strong class='bbc'>NO</strong> votes than that candidate / measure / whatever should win / be passed. But it would pass with an "*" stating the # of abstain votes (as is done in the USA Congress and Senate. (To my knowledge anyhow, Pleas correct me if I am inaccurate)

Dredd
fair enough big t. :lol: Ahh the us system seems a bit different than the one in Can. at least i thinks so.let me get some sleep on it....