Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To delete or not delet
ok I was thinking of cleaning up the board by Deleting some of the older streams, but after seeing what Spirit and Mist has thought on the subject, I think a poll would be useful here on this,I propose that old streams, like ones from last month, or ones that have not been active for about three weeks get deleted to keep down on the clutter of the board, not the one that is pinned mind you, that is our nations history and should remain, but all the others, with a two day lock down then deletion, that way everyone that wants to read it can do so one last time before it is gone..so let's see what everyone thinks on the matterBTW I love polls, can't you tell Big Grin
I think old posts should not be deleted. Newcomers may wish to see what was going on in the region prior to their arrival. They also might be less likely to participate if the board looks less active. I don't think the board is too cluttered. If people don't want to read something, they don't have to. They can also see which posts are new, so old posts really don't get in the way of anything.
After reading what DVD said, I don't think we should delete threads. It's very likely that n00bs would be scared off because they didn't see that many topics, therefore concluding that the board sucks and leaving and never coming back.
You know I honestly did not think of that, thanks DVD, and see the polls do work Big Grin , but I will leave it up to the nations that want to vote on it, it is up to the SP after all Big Grin
Why would the board look less active if old threads that hadn't been posted in for a month were deleted? We would still have the ones posted in yesterday around.
While I do understand where DVD is coming from. I must ask, couldnt the board look less active if there are a list of old topics sitting here not being used and therefore having the newer posts would look active.i personally dont have a big opinion one way or the other, but that was my two cents.
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

SUGGESTIONS:

* cache <em class='bbc'>all</em> old threads; call it <span style='color: red'><span class='bbc_underline'>The Archive</span>, or <span class='bbc_underline'>History of the SP</span> ... just so that newbies can see where & when various topics have been discussed, and we can use it as a reference in a FAQ way...

... besides, you never know when an old topic becomes valid again [eg the encyclopaedia files we lost in the move from the regional board hosted by the honoured KM - may he rest in peace Wink ]

... my Gold Dragon's worth ... :eyes: </span>

Postscript ... it's not as if the board <em class='bbc'>looks</em> all that busy/lively anyway, deleting old threads would make it look poistively barren!!

ibid.
Quote:SUGGESTIONS:

* cache <em class='bbc'>all</em> old threads; call it <span style='color: red'><span class='bbc_underline'>The Archive</span>, or <span class='bbc_underline'>History of the SP</span> ... just so that newbies can see where & when various topics have been discussed, and we can use it as a reference in a FAQ way...

... besides, you never know when an old topic becomes valid again [eg the encyclopaedia files we lost in the move from the regional board hosted by the honoured KM - may he rest in peace Wink ]

... my Gold Dragon's worth ... :eyes: </span>

Postscript ... it's not as if the board <em class='bbc'>looks</em> all that busy/lively anyway, deleting old threads would make it look poistively barren!!

ibid.
Not a bad idea. It's good to save some of the topics. Helps one to refer to them if needed.

But ofcourse if there is topic / messages which are not that important - as telling how wonderfull weapons one is building Big Grin and that kind of staff - I'd say waste them.... maybe even some of the writers -joke-.
Just to add my 10cents worth.anything older than 1 month should be deleted, or shifted to another set, otherwise things will get clustered and certain post may not be read or discussed because they will be missed in the mill, so to speak.My opinion.
great idea spirit and mist. Big Grin i like the idea of an archive. can i vote for the archive instead of deletion? Tongue
as a newbie i think that (personally) that if the older ones were archived say anything inactive for 1-2 months (depending on amount of activity before then less active one more active then two months) should be archived, anything thats still being used well let it stand Big Grin that way if theres still a question on a certain issue or someone new (like myself) knows about past legislation or whatever else was discussed. does that make sense?
I'll tell ya what makes the site look inactive...the fact that the front page hasn't been updated in around 2 months.
i've stopped updates the site since we are only using the forum anymore
===

"I learned that dreams don't work without action. I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or she is right inside you underneath the pain, the sorrow and the shame."

-tsu

The Priestess-Queen is of course entirely correct.Archiving is simply a must. It preserves the history of the region. For good or for ill.The conflicts that the region has experienced need to be archived. Oftentimes evils turn on itself and returns in a different guise. It is the nature of the beast.Likewise, good ideas tend to get buried over time. With a method of archiving in place, a historian or the then-current UN Delegate / Cabinet will have the ability to revist ideas or suggestions that may have been distasteful at the time, but seem reasonable during a review of the past.My citizens are petitioning me for temples devoteed to the Goddess Spirit and Mist worships, however you will have to forgive me when I decline the requests. There is only room for one authority figure in the Dominion. Muahahahaa!-DD
The Free State believes that an archive with which the old debates and information could be stored. There are many places to store such information in both hard and soft copy form. A web page with links to the old information could be created with relative ease and linked to this page. The deletion of dead topics is not a poor one, at all, but one would do well to retain information lest it be needed in the future and for its historical value. I mean, what would a nation be without its government document repositories to hold information, neh? Let us retain information, but be pragmatic about the number of topics which have sputtered out we leave here. Make it possible to resurrect old topics if desired by any given person. Just make sure that people have the ability to study the old information.J. WilliamsFree State of Sartreania
Well this topic is going to be moved the History of the South Pacific, so see the topic was a good one to have, thank you all for your views and everything else in this matter.