Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Amendment
Changing:

Quote:All elections shall have a nomination period lasting five days followed by a campaigning period lasting three days. The voting period will begin immediately after the conclusion of the campaigning period and shall last no more than five days.
To:

Quote:All elections shall have a nomination and campaign period lasting ten. The voting period will begin immediately after the conclusion of the nomination/campaigning period and shall last no more than three days.
Sparknotes version:

- combined nomination / campaigning time to allow for longer and quicker campaigns.

- Shortened the voting time to 72 hours to allow for more prompt elections.
I am a member of the Committee for State Security. Yay safe region!
Feel free to PM me with any questions / concerns Smile

Former Vice Delegate, Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Regional Affairs, Minister of Justice, and Chief Justice
Quote:Question from Southern Bellz to me in December 2013 MoFA campaign:

Bizarre scenario: Unibot asked you a non-loaded question about TNI or the UDL. How would you react?
I don't think our elections need to be that long that was why we amended the Charter the last time to reduce the period. I would support combining campaign and nominations period but not extending it to 10 minutes.
Quote:I don't think our elections need to be that long that was why we amended the Charter the last time to reduce the period. I would support combining campaign and nominations period but not extending it to 10 minutes.
10 minutes is kinda long Tongue

We can keep it shorter I guess. Sometimes I feel there may be a need for more time though.

Former Vice Delegate, Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Regional Affairs, Minister of Justice, and Chief Justice

Bizarre scenario: Unibot asked you a non-loaded question about TNI or the UDL. How would you react?
Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Hileville">I don't think our elections need to be that long that was why we amended the Charter the last time to reduce the period. I would support combining campaign and nominations period but not extending it to 10 minutes.
10 minutes is kinda long Tongue

We can keep it shorter I guess. Sometimes I feel there may be a need for more time though.
</blockquote>10 days rather. I just don't see the need for it.
I don't think it needs to be changed, I think it needs better enforcement to separate the nomination period and campaign period.
Im with DM on this one... I think we need to stick with what we've got, but just enforce it!
The Confederation of Rebel-topian Nations

[spoiler="Positions - Past and Present"]

Forum Administrator

TSP Chair of the Assembly (12/13 - Present)

TSP's Craziest (12/12 - 3/13 -- 8/13 - Present)
Former Vice Delegate under Belschaft (8/13 - 12/13)

Former General in the NSA (5/13 - 8/13)

Former Minister of Security in TSP (9/12 - 12/12)

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in TSP (5/12 - 9/12)

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="CRN Member Nations"]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]
Farengeto is my new best friend!!!!

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Why do we want to separate them more? It just draws out the process but freezes it up so there's a designated "Nothing can really happen" period.

The problem is, if you get nominated and accept on the first day of nominations, you get a head start on someone who might throw their name in the hat on the last day of nominations... So, essentially, you have 8 days of campaigning to someone else 3 days... Thats not exactly fair...I do think, though, that nominations and campaign period need to be closer in length. I think a 4 day nomination period, and a 4 day campaign period would be better... but thats just me

Forum Administrator

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Why is that not fair? Someone who planned ahead for the election shouldn't get to start until the deep thinkers decide to toss their hat in? Why do we have to regulate democracy? Just let it happen.

I'm inclined to agree with HEM, but I'm biased. It's definite somethin' to discuss in regards to election reform, regardless of who is in the cabinet in a few weeks.

TSP Deputy Minister Of Foreign Affairs (DoFA)

TSP Ambassador To The East Pacific

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

TSP Ambassador To The Rejected Realms

Europeian Citizens' Assembly Associate Member

Do you want somebody murdered?

(Then don't call GE's General Services
)

But, for any other job, dial
HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

[Image: 20QJ0.png]

I mean... I wouldnt have won MoS if Sheepa would have been around to accept his nom until the last day. I think Sheepa would have done 100 times better then I did as MoS, even if he was here half of the time I was. But the fact of the matter is, if you get a jump-start, then the elections become biased towards the person who started first, not necessarily the person who could do the better job...

Forum Administrator

But that bias doesn't vanish because we all have the same start time. A true race based on ideas and debate would only require 3 overlapping hours of campaigning between good candidates. Voters can see candidate qualities and compare platforms without there being a starting gun.

I trust the citizens and voters of The South Pacific, as well. The biggest bias should be towards an intellegent debate in any election.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Key word being "should". But thats not usually the way it goes...

Forum Administrator

The elections were also defined differently then as well I believe. Also I don't believe there is anything wrong with being able to campaign early. If Rebel and I both decide we foregoing to run for president of the US but I decide a year earlier than he does I am not prevented from campaigning before him. I know people don't like RL examples bit so what.
Regardless of whether or not we all agree, it's gonna be the EC's call this election, and it appears as if they're gonna wait it out.

All we can do goin' forward is to vote with our heads <em class='bbc'>and</em> our hearts.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Agreed, GE.

Forum Administrator

I just think we should amend the law for next time, is all.

Well let this be the start of the discussion, since we already have a lot of different opinions.I just think since the laws in TSP are followed to the letter, that this one should be no exception. If people want it to be different thats fine, it can be changed but you can't stray away from what the law says or its opens the door for more abuse in other situations.I think the nomination process should be shorter and the campaign process should be longer. I also think if someone is nominated and does not accept they shouldn't be automaticly put on the ballot.
Quote:I think the nomination process should be shorter and the campaign process should be longer. I also think if someone is nominated and does not accept they shouldn't be automaticly put on the ballot.
That has never been the case.
Well, I agree we should follow the law this election, but change it for the next one TongueLet's allow the campaign to be a full period. Not two small and separate periods.

I agree with that. Ya don't havta be nominated to run, and ya can nominate yourself on the first day of the campaigns/elections.Just to clarify, I don't think anyone was suggestin' that we not enforce the law this election.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.

Sorry Hil, I didn't mean that this was the case. I meant it in response to AMOM's post

Quote:Loh needs to decide between MoFA and MoRA nomination. If he does not, I will either have to decide arbitrarily for him or remove his name from the ballots. I'd rather do neither of these things. Please clarify, Loh.
Ok... Here we go...

Quote:During the campaign period, the Election Commission will open a campaign thread for each candidate in the Election Forum of the office the candidate is running for...
The Charter is worded (imo) as the two parts of the voting period (Nominations and Campaigning) are separate. The Election Law clearly states that as people accept nominations, their campaign threads get opened.

With that said, I think that our Election Law is in violation of the Charter. Though, I do think the Charter is a bit vague in its wording.

Forum Administrator

Intentionally so, I think, but, that bein' said, it's very clear that nominations and campaigns are distinct. Furthermore, the election law clearly states that the campaign thread will be opened during the campaign period. In that respect, the Charter and election law are both coherent and consistent.

TSP Ambassador To Osiris

)

HURRY UP- It pays!

P.S. We also walk dogs.