Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Law
Id like to update the election law process. Using Hiles post here, and the discussions past, I'd like to propose the following amendment to the Code of Laws regarding elections.

Quote:Article 1: Elections

1. Elections for all Cabinet positions and Chief Justice
    shall commence on the first
    fifteenth
    of every April, August, and December
    March, July, and November

2. Elections for High Court Justices shall commence on the fifteenth of every May, September, and January.
  3. Cabinet terms shall start on the 1st of April, August, and December.
    Hig
    <span style="color:rgb(0,0,205);">h Court Justice terms shall Start on the first of every June, October, and February.
    </span>

4. All normal and special elections will be comprised of a nomination period lasting five days and a voting period lasting three days.
  5. Runoff elections will begin within twenty-four hours of the initial vote closing and consist of a voting period lasting three days.
  6. Candidates for elections may self-declare or be nominated by another Citizen. Candidates must file a Conflict of Interest Disclosure at the time of their acceptance of a nomination or self-declaration.
  7. Conflict of Interest Disclosures must include current World Assembly Nation, all past and present aliases used, all past and present involvement in other regions and organizations, and all current positions held across NationStates.
  8. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will run on a joint ticket and be elected by a majority vote. If no ticket receives a majority vote a runoff election with the two tickets receiving the most votes will occur.
  9. All other elected offices will be voted on separately and be elected by a plurality vote.
  10. In all elections an option to re-open nominations will be included. If this option receives the most votes the nomination period for that office will be restarted.
  11. In the event that no candidate runs for an available office, the newly elected Cabinet will appoint a Citizen to fill the vacancy.
  12. Vacancies in office occur when the office holder resigns, is recalled, or no longer holds citizenship. In the event of a vacancy in office a special election will begin within 72 hours of the office becoming vacant, unless the vacancy occurs in the
    after the 15th of
    month prior to the start of an
    the
    election cycle; in this case the Cabinet will appoint a Citizen to fill the vacated position for the remainder of the term.
  13. Elections will be run by a member of the forum administration staff or their designee. A designated Election Commissioner may be appointed if all members of the administration staff will be candidates in the given election, or no administers come forward to run the elections

This proposed amendment wouldnt take affect until the Court Justices elections in May...

This amendment allows for at least a week for the in-coming cabinet to transition into their new rolls, and not be left hanging by the out-going minister. This also allows time for a delegate runoff, and a RON majority vote.

The Confederation of Rebel-topian Nations

[spoiler="Positions - Past and Present"]

Forum Administrator

TSP Chair of the Assembly (12/13 - Present)

TSP's Craziest (12/12 - 3/13 -- 8/13 - Present)
Former Vice Delegate under Belschaft (8/13 - 12/13)

Former General in the NSA (5/13 - 8/13)

Former Minister of Security in TSP (9/12 - 12/12)

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in TSP (5/12 - 9/12)

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="CRN Member Nations"]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]
Farengeto is my new best friend!!!!

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Reads alright Rebel. To me anyway.

So, as I understand it, this would not come into effect until after the next set of elections?

[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
What would happen with Chief Justice elections? Would I be serving a 6 month term? Or will we elect a CJ that will serve a 2 month term?
Also, what about the vice-delegate position. What happens if someone resigns from being vice-delegate? Do we host special elections?
​The New Covenant:

[nation]The Sanghelios Legion[/nation], [nation]The Jiralhanea[/nation], [nation]The Kigyar[/nation], and [nation]The Shan Shyuumm[/nation]

Minister of Regional Affairs (Mar 7, 2014-Present)

Deputy Minister of Regional Affairs (Dec 15 2013-Mar 7, 2014)

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs (Jan 13, 2014-Feb 3, 2014)

Quote:Also, what about the vice-delegate position. What happens if someone resigns from being vice-delegate? Do we host special elections?
No.  The next in the order of succession becomes Vice Delegate.  This is covered in Article 3 of the CoL.

Quote:What would happen with Chief Justice elections? Would I be serving a 6 month term? Or will we elect a CJ that will serve a 2 month term?
It would probably be a good idea to run an election when the new Court changes pass.

This looks good to me and I support such a change.
This will have the effect of giving the next Cabinet only a three month term, correct? Is there any way to avoid that?

If we're going to go with new judicial elections when the Court changes pass, the law needs to say that somewhere because as currently written that would not be legal under this law. Unless I'm missing something.

Otherwise this looks good to me.

Cormac Somerset

[Image: cormacshield.png]

The Brotherhood of Malice

General and Outside World Manager

"Defenderism is dead activity, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living activity, and lives the more, the more activity it sucks." - Me (paraphrasing Karl Marx)

Quote:So, as I understand it, this would not come into effect until after the next set of elections?

Correct.

Forum Administrator

The one and only minion of LadyRebels (Goodness I REALLY miss that woman!!)[/spoiler]

[nation]Rebel-topia[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia of The South Pacific[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia the 2[/nation] | [nation]Rebel-topia III[/nation] | [nation]RebelT[/nation] | [nation]Rebeltopia[/nation] [/spoiler]

"If you're normal, the crowd will accept you. If you're deranged, they'll make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Quote:This will have the effect of giving the next Cabinet only a three month term, correct? Is there any way to avoid that?

No. The cabinet terms are still 4 months. But they actually start on the 1st. Think of it as elections in the US. the president is elected in November, but doesn't take office until mid-January. That's what this revision adds. It gives a specific term start and finish date, with elections taking place two weeks before the term starts.

Forum Administrator

Why are justice elections a month early?
They arent. They are half way between Cabinet elections, which has been proposed in another thread.

Forum Administrator

When does the nomination\campaign period begin for regular elections. Like for the April 1st elections when can candidates begin to run or announce their intentions?

It would be best to stagger the elections so the Supreme Court elections happened at least a month or so before the general elections. Otherwise I like this idea.

Escade

Delegate

:cake:

The South Pacific

The court elections are already staggered, being two months before/after general elections.

[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
Quote:When does the nomination\campaign period begin for regular elections. Like for the April 1st elections when can candidates begin to run or announce their intentions?
Elections would start on the 15th. And, instead of the new cabinet taking office directly after elections end, they wait until the 1st of the next month (about 1 week).

Quote:It would be best to stagger the elections so the Supreme Court elections happened at least a month or so before the general elections. Otherwise I like this idea.
With this proposal (and the one Hile made in another thread), Justices will be elected 2 months between current elections.

Forum Administrator

What I had meant by a momth early is that cabinet elections start on the 15th of a month then terms start on the 1st of the next month. But Justice elections start on the first of month before the term starts. Why are they different?
Quote:What I had meant by a momth early is that cabinet elections start on the 15th of a month then terms start on the 1st of the next month. But Justice elections start on the first of month before the term starts. Why are they different?

I didnt catch that. I had just copied Hiles text from the other thread, and added it. Fixed to the 15th. Smile

Forum Administrator