Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving back to the old boards
Now that the old boards are back up, I suggest that we move back to them. I appreciate the effort put into these boards as a temporary solution and I want to give a big compliment to all involved who set it up and organized it. However, I feel a temporary solution should stay temporary. The sooner we move back the better: the longer we wait, the longer we build up a history and a certain attachment here and the more difficult it will be to move back. There are plenty of people who remember or have bookmarked the old board, and if we would continue here we would have to redirect everyone here. Not a big deal, but still an inconvenience to our users. Also, on the old board we have all history at hand in case we need to look something up or build on something else. Also not a big deal, but still an inconvenience and a loss of momentum if we have to do this cross-board.Finally I am concerned on the hosting construction of this board. I'm not sure how it is arranged, but the IP address suggests to me that this board is running on a private-owned webhost-account of someone. While this gives benefits in the short term, the long term continuity is extremely vulnerable. This continuity is easier manageable on a forum host like invision.
[Image: 1ad3869e-07b4-47f3-8bf1-247c729479d6.jpg]

I thought we all voted on new boards. Or are these different new boards to the intended new boards?Invision was sucking badly.
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
This board is being hosted by Zeta. The custom domain was purchased by me but that can be directed anywhere. There was an Assembly vote held on moving forums. There are also not a lot of people who want to go back to the old forums. This board has grown on some people and they don't want to switch forums again.
As long as my post count comes across. :hammer:
New Southern Army Member
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
Quote:As long as my post count comes across. :hammer:
I don't think that is fair to everyone, if we are making a fresh start it honestly should be a fresh start across the board. But I can't stop anything from happening when it comes to what others think.Just would love to have my old post count back if it comes to that, and that would mean from the start of the old boards to the current time to these boards.......wow that would be.....well anyway I go this way now. :too:
I'm back...your nightmare returns.

My one and only minion, so far, Rebel-topia.

I have no problems with people getting post counts transferred. I brought my real post count over today.
Stay!
I would prefer that we stay on these boards, and the region itself has already voted on this matter. If the region <em class='bbc'>does</em> return to the old boards, I feel that Hileville, and perhaps I, should retain our administrator statuses. I honestly do not say this with the intent of a powergrab or anything akin to it, but rather, I believe that the existence of more active administrators is partially responsible for the impressive activity that we have witnessed on this new forum.

It would be ideal that we continue to use this board.
I would actually prefer a return (sorry to speak against the tide) but more active admins certainly sounds like a good idea.
[Image: HuoZhaoDao.png]
We we didn't go through that Zetaboards conversion for nothing, I don't see a problem with the old boards and I don't there's a difference in regards to "opportunity". There's a crap-load of history in TSP's forum and I'm pretty sure it's one of the oldest in the game... that's pretty cool that TSP has been *that* stable.I would like to see Hileville and Carts etc. made admins on the old forum though.EDIT: I also wouldn't mind seeing stuff on the old board moved to an archive to reduce the clutter.
Never Cruel nor Cowardly,

Never Give Up, Never Give In.

To clarify my position; I don't care if we stay or return, as long as we lose the recent technical errors, and I keep my post count.LR; I put a *lot* of work into getting my post count what it was, I was the most active member forum side for a year. Losing that would seem grossly unfair.
New Southern Army Member
Quote:To clarify my position; I don't care if we stay or return, as long as we lose the recent technical errors, and I keep my post count.LR; I put a *lot* of work into getting my post count what it was, I was the most active member forum side for a year. Losing that would seem grossly unfair.
Ant, you won't win a post-count wrestling-match with LR TongueI kinda missed the vote, but now that the old one is back we can have another vote to move back TongueI have no issues with changing or expanding the admin team on the old board.
[Image: 1ad3869e-07b4-47f3-8bf1-247c729479d6.jpg]

You should get on IRC Tsrill. It'd help us discuss this with greater efficiency.
Perhaps additions of all of the post counts onto what members currently have here from what they had on the old forum, the old forum is set in archive (read-only) mode, with a redirect at the top to these forums, and we stay here?Or..otherwise, we add these forum posts to the old forum and move back, of course only if all the glitches are fixed. Personally, when the IF to ZB conversion first came out there were lots of little glitches in it (forums disappearing, headers showing up weird, subfora titles in the wrong places). If that's messy, I suggest staying here so it doesn't confuse newer members. If there's nothing wrong with the old forums..why should we stay here, if they're both on ZB and one obviously has more history and meaning to people (as well as a plethora of old members that may come back to that forum).
Quote:<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Antariel">To clarify my position; I don't care if we stay or return, as long as we lose the recent technical errors, and I keep my post count.LR; I put a *lot* of work into getting my post count what it was, I was the most active member forum side for a year. Losing that would seem grossly unfair.
Ant, you won't win a post-count wrestling-match with LR TongueI kinda missed the vote, but now that the old one is back we can have another vote to move back TongueI have no issues with changing or expanding the admin team on the old board.
</blockquote>Ant you really have no clue do you, because for a year? back in the day I was as active on the old boards as I am here for two years running, every day.....if those counted as well as what has gone on today and on these boards, would anyone want to step up to the plate?

Okay so I think we need to hold a vote on this. If we move back I think a lot of archiving and reorganizing is going to have to be done. I think the setup on these boards is the ideal layout. They may just be me who thinks that though.
Quote:Okay so I think we need to hold a vote on this. If we move back I think a lot of archiving and reorganizing is going to have to be done. I think the setup on these boards is the ideal layout. They may just be me who thinks that though.
No not just you and I do have to admit that I like the fresh start type of feel here and the fact that I can change the themes when I want to.....keeps me from having to change my ava so much Tongue

I think as that Eluvatar in TNP demonstrated, reorganization of an old forum for a fresh look is definitely possible.On the subject of ZB glitches though in terms of boards sometimes hiding, I'm 100% certain that's regardless of server. It's a software issue not a configuration issue.I'll call a vote on this soon.
[Image: HuoZhaoDao.png]
LR; I don't mind you having a higher count than me if you add in your old count, that's fine. But I like having my old count. I'm aware you were most active for years, but I was in 2011; I don't see any issue with us putting in old post counts. I've slowly worked my way up the ranks on the old forums through the old big inactive players, to be in the top 30 ever; it was a challenge I was vaguely amused by. I also enjoyed beating our delegate by a significant margin. Who is now CHEATING Tongue
New Southern Army Member
Quote:LR; I don't mind you having a higher count than me if you add in your old count, that's fine. But I like having my old count. I'm aware you were most active for years, but I was in 2011; I don't see any issue with us putting in old post counts. I've slowly worked my way up the ranks on the old forums through the old big inactive players, to be in the top 30 ever; it was a challenge I was vaguely amused by. I also enjoyed beating our delegate by a significant margin. Who is now CHEATING Tongue
Cheating is in the eye of the beholder? :lol:

I am actually for staying here. We have a lot of current work on this forum and to take up roots and move yet again to the old forums would be difficult for our region, I believe.Personally, I think we could be better off if we archived the old forum and had a lot of redirect links to it to sort of tie the old with the new. As for Carta and Hileville as admins, that would need to be discussed by the current ones, but I don't have any problems or issues with it.
I think a new forum encourages activity, and while I don't think changing forums should be done for that reason alone, I think it is a good side effect.The best reason I think we should stay here is because currently there is a 'line in the sand' so to speak. The old forum has the old posts, and this one has everything after the change. If we go back we are going to have to have the admins do more work for very little gain or we are going to have a weird posting gap.This whole thing was a very natural processes, and really more of something that had to happen than a decisions made. Even when I made the announcement, people were mostly using the old forum, and as it kept breaking more and more people came here more till the forum broke. I think the fact the this discussion is happening here versus the old forum (despite it being back) shows that the region is ready to move here.
To be honest, I really agree with Southern Bellz on it. Even though there isn't anything wrong with the old forums anymore, this just does seem like a simpler approach as long as there are loads and loads of redirects to this forum (and perhaps a Bulk Email sent out to citizens and Diplomats that we've moved).
Yeah I agree to. It seems there has been a good momentum since the shift here and I think moving back again could well kill some of that.
 King of Albion

I vote here, what I was going to say has already been posted on this thread.