Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSP Map: Naming Contest
On Monday, 11/18 the TSP Map (http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/...h-pacific/) will experience a land rush as TSPers stake their claims.   :hula:

But, before then, we're having a naming contest for the five continents on the map!

Post your ideas for continent names here and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Some that I am submitting:

Antartic - Bifrost, Glacia, Ikkeirtok, Freja, 

Other words that may sound nice as names:
Sol, Emblazon, Blazon, Seyreaux, Penigal, Lyra, Edolen, Arcadia, Symphony, Sonnet, Alinora, 

Escade

Delegate

:cake:

The South Pacific

Quote:Loh, on 11 Nov 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

Some names I thought about for the continents: Fudgia, Christia, Mattlandis, Nord and Bellzur. Names are based on TSPers as you see   Tongue

Just quoting my ideas for names :groovy:

[right]2003-2013 - 10 years in NationStates[/right]
[right]Godkitten of the TSP Cat Mafia®[/right]

[center][nation]Lands of Headington[/nation](main) | [nation]Headingtonia[/nation] | [nation]Foggy Island[/nation] (WA) | [nation]Ambrosius Aurelianus[/nation] | [nation]Loh[/nation] | [nation]Cattish Windward Islands[/nation] | [nation]Cattish Leeward Islands[/nation][/center]
[center][Image: Udpate-1.png][/center]
AntiArts on the Bottom, Seahorse on the left, North and South Ameritralia on the right,  ExtoHardia to the bottom right of Seahorse. There was actual thought behind them....

Former Chief Justice of the South Pacific

[Image: vipersig.jpg]
My submissions for the naming contest:

Antarctic Continent: Snowdonia

Mid Southwestern Landmass: Brutania

Western Continent: Inaria

Rainbow Islands: Friendship Islands

Northeastern Continent: North Antaria

Southeastern Continent: South Antaria

[center][Image: PsIIP8Z.jpg][/center]

[center]Surfer's Paradise[/center]
[center]Where the surf's always up, the wahine are beautiful, and the brahs got swag![/center]
Western continent: Blue whale

Eastern continent (north): Chameleon

Eastern continent (south): Badger

Southern (antarctic) continent: Penguin

Small continent: Bunny

Islands: Lampshade isles

(after iconic south pacific animals in the past...)

(Or we could go by the Tsrillik names:

Western continent: Father West (Ftan Lunn)

Small western continent: Gold coin (Ptorin Kfeiaš)

Eastern continent (north): Northern rocksnake (Gloi Sfinn Tair)

Eastern continent (south): Southern rocksnake (Psarl Sfinn Tair)

Southern (antarctic) continent: Cold place (Brarr Ktenn)

[Image: 1ad3869e-07b4-47f3-8bf1-247c729479d6.jpg]

Antarctic Continent: Brutlandia

Mid Southwestern Landmass: Liliputia

Western Continent: Bigtopia

Rainbow Islands: Violet Bridges

Northeastern Continent: Maxtopia

Southeastern Continent: Marche Noria

Western Continent: Tuauru Whenua = "Western Lands" in Maori 

Southwestern Continent (small): Te Waipounamu = "South Island" in Maori

Northeastern Continent: Akauaina = "North Land" in Hawaiian

Eastern Continent (South): Tuaimihenua = "Tribe Lands" in Moriori

Eastern Continent (North): Rauurihatu = "Northeast Land" in Rapanui

Just had an idea. Going back to the land request thread, the first nation landing on a continent gets to name it as explorers did in the day. In reality, history dictates that Europe, Asia and Africa always had "names", but the Americas, Australia and the Arctic came after they where "discovered" by European explorers.

Former Chief Justice of the South Pacific

[Image: vipersig.jpg]
Quote:Just had an idea. Going back to the land request thread, the first nation landing on a continent gets to name it as explorers did in the day. In reality, history dictates that Europe, Asia and Africa always had "names", but the Americas, Australia and the Arctic came after they where "discovered" by European explorers.
I would presume in most cases the nations were the area's original inhabitants, and didn't quite have the same technology gap as Europeans vs Native Americans when first discovered by foreign visitors.
My other plan is to have 5 successive contests to name the 5 continents. We'll do it one continent at a time. All TSPers can propose a name, and everyone will be able to vote, but their votes will be weighted: ordinary TSPers (not on the map) gets 1 vote, TSPers on the map gets 2 votes, and TSPers on that continent to be named gets 3 votes. They may split their votes on any proposed names, or dump it all on a name they like so much. Whichever names gets the most votes wins, and we can then make a back-story on how the continent was named.

Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
The Central Continent could be called "Hummingia"(pronounced <span><span>ˈhʌmɪŋ<span><span><span>ɪ</span></span>a)</span></span></span>, because I think it looks like a hummingbird.

In TSP since Sunday 13th October 2013

Citizen since 14th March 2014

Stuff about me:

http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/...tem-scope/

http://solarsystemscope.com/

[spoiler=Coat of Arms][Image: YPjJqFN.png][/spoiler]

In association with:

[spoiler=TSSSOSA][Image: n5LOrbM.png?1679][/spoiler]

Quote:My other plan is to have 5 successive contests to name the 5 continents. We'll do it one continent at a time. All TSPers can propose a name, and everyone will be able to vote, but their votes will be weighted: ordinary TSPers (not on the map) gets 1 vote, TSPers on the map gets 2 votes, and TSPers on that continent to be named gets 3 votes. They may split their votes on any proposed names, or dump it all on a name they like so much. Whichever names gets the most votes wins, and we can then make a back-story on how the continent was named.

As MoRA, I'd like agree to this. Unfortunately, my term doesn't last 5 months though Sad

A member of Team Cake :cake:

MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (December 2013-PRESENT)

MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (May 2013-August 2013)

DEPUTY MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (April 2013-May 2013)

~≋₪≋~

The Federal Democratic Republic of [nation]Awesomiasa[/nation]

Founded: 21 June 2011

President: Angelina P. Joel

Vice President: Gwendolyn A. Jameson

Quote: 

TheGrimReaper: But hey, some people like places and some people like people.

Rach: "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth."

Quote:As MoRA, I'd like agree to this. Unfortunately, my term doesn't last 5 months though Sad
Well, we can do it, a contest every two weeks - one week for nominations and one week for voting. Wink If we start now, it'll be over by your term's end. Now we must think of the prizes....
Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Awe" data-cid="111772" data-time="1387289444">
<div>
As MoRA, I'd like agree to this. Unfortunately, my term doesn't last 5 months though Sad
Well, we can do it, a contest every two weeks - one week for nominations and one week for voting. Wink If we start now, it'll be over by your term's end. Now we must think of the prizes....

</div>
</blockquote>

Just ask Hile to sponsor money and do some philanthropy Tongue

A member of Team Cake :cake:

MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (December 2013-PRESENT)

MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (May 2013-August 2013)

DEPUTY MINISTER OF REGIONAL AFFAIRS (April 2013-May 2013)

~≋₪≋~

The Federal Democratic Republic of [nation]Awesomiasa[/nation]

Founded: 21 June 2011

President: Angelina P. Joel

Vice President: Gwendolyn A. Jameson

Quote: 

TheGrimReaper: But hey, some people like places and some people like people.

Rach: "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth."