Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Elections
As I have hinted, I am intending to resign the delegacy as soon as it is appropriate and safe to do so. You know that I have no desire for holding long-term top power in the region, and I am happy to have served my part in the liberation of TSP. I apologize if I had been a hindrance at times, I'm new at this gameplay and coup thing, y'know. Wink

I'd like to inquire from you guys when do you think should I announce my retirement and we hold new elections, from both a legal point of view and from a practical point of view. Truth is, during the next months, from June onwards, I will be more swamped with work. I would also like to spend time with some of the NS projects I had put on hold. And so I will not be able to keep up with the demands of the delegacy. I would like to be fair to TSP, because they deserve a better and more active delegate.

Before I mention my preferences, I'd like to hear from my government first.

Brutland and Norden
Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
Wish you could wait until elections come back around Sad
There are two ways to enact new Delegate elections; you can resign and the VD and all CSS members refuse to take up the office, or we can pass enabling legislation for a special election. I would suggest the second.

As for timeline, I would suggest no sooner than the start of June; that produces a short two month, gives time for any unreformed Milograd supporters to get bored and leave, and allows new people to integrate.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
Well it looks like Hileville missed the majority vote for both CSS and General Corps if I did my math right?
Enabling legislation to hold a special election may be wise.
[Image: HuoZhaoDao.png]
I argued the case for using a random bit of the Charter I think allows us to avoid the first option, but enabling legislation seems fine to me. Having a delegate unable to be elected seems a massive flaw.
New Southern Army Member
Longest Serving Delegate of Warzone Australia (271 glorious days, 2012)
Delegate of Warzone Africa (1 day, 2012)
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
TSP Chair of the Assembly (December 2012-April 2013)
Council of State Security Member (April 2013-May 2013)
TSP Deputy Minister of Security (July 2012-April 2013)
TSP Head of Ambassadors (June-July 2011)
South Pacific Army Captain (2011-13)
Founded February 2011 - 2 years of Nationstates and counting!
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
No a flaw; intended when we wrote it. As you would know if you had participated in the GC debates.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]

Quote:I argued the case for using a random bit of the Charter I think allows us to avoid the first option, but enabling legislation seems fine to me. Having a delegate unable to be elected seems a massive flaw.

It wasn't a flaw.  It was purposely placed to never allow for a vacancy to occur in the Delegate position.  Read the GC discussions.
So, any other ideas as to when can I leave? Tongue

And I do want an election to happen.
A special election beginning June 1st makes the most sense to me.
[Image: HuoZhaoDao.png]
Oh God, literally everything that came out of that GC is really irritating me in the last few days. I may have missed it then, but I'll say it now; not allowing a resignation to bring new elections seems massively flawed to me Tongue

Please spare me the inevitable 'should have said it then' posts; I know. Doesn't stop me saying it now Big Grin
New Southern Army Member
TSP Minister of Foreign Affairs (September-November 2011, April-May 2013), Deputy (July-September 2011, June 2012-April 2013), and Advisor (January-June 2012)
[spoiler=Whispering Ants][Image: We_so_excited!.gif] for DelegANT 2013!!! [/spoiler]
In that case B&N I'll draft up enabling legislation in the next couple of days.

Quote:Well it looks like Hileville missed the majority vote for both CSS and General Corps if I did my math right?
SOMEONE shouldn't have forgot to vote and he would not have.

*stands in corner ashamed*
Quote:Oh God, literally everything that came out of that GC is really irritating me in the last few days. I may have missed it then, but I'll say it now; not allowing a resignation to bring new elections seems massively flawed to me Tongue

Please spare me the inevitable 'should have said it then' posts; I know. Doesn't stop me saying it now Big Grin

It isn't a flaw.  The Charter and laws were designed that way.  It is only a flaw to you because you don't like it.
So, my personal preference is to be relieved of the delegacy by June. I would agree with Belschaft that a full month would be enough to stabilize the region. However, I would like to do the formal things a little bit earlier:

I would like to make an announcement about my intention to retire by the 22nd of March (exactly three weeks into my delegacy). We'll introduce the enabling law to have special elections by the 23rd. If it passes we can have the start of nominations by the 27th, election by the 30th, and proclamation by the 2nd of June - in time for Coalition Day. Smile In the meantime I will still be the legal delegate while the region decides its next leader. Then the first week of June will be the transition period. Is the timetable okay?
'seems massively flawed <b> to me </b>' - why have people given up reading my posts... Sad
New Southern Army Member
Quote:'seems massively flawed <b> to me </b>' - why have people given up reading my posts... Sad

I did read your post.  I am stating it isn't a flaw.  It was designed that way purposely to make sure that the most important position in the region is never vacant.  The new election system is we elect a Delegate and a Vice Delegate if the Delegate can or will not serve any longer than they are succeeded by the Vice Delegate.  It really can't be that hard to comprehend that this was not a flaw and was done intentionally.

On that note I am fine with B&N's time table.  Although now that I think of it we have to allow for the possibility of a runoff vote so it could be a few days after what is intended.
I understand you did it intentionally, I think doing so is flawed; why is nobody getting my points this week? Fair enough that the VD steps in, but not having an election to make the VD just have a temporary/transitional role is, *to my mind*, a bad idea. Get it?
New Southern Army Member
Quote:I understand you did it intentionally, I think doing so is flawed; why is nobody getting my points this week? Fair enough that the VD steps in, but not having an election to make the VD just have a temporary/transitional role is, *to my mind*, a bad idea. Get it?

No I don't.  Why is it flawed?
* Topid grumbles.

It is flawed in the sense that Ant thinks it is problematic, but he isn't using it in the the sense we are used to where the problem is unintentional or hidden. No time to have a definition war about which definition of flawed is the rightful flaw. 

Okay, so everyone is on board with this legislation Bels is drafting? By the way, I happened to have had a little conversation with HEM about it before B&N posted here about wanting to step down and HEM (chief justice) did not seem to believe there was a way to have B&N step down and call for legal elections short of amending the charter (the Assembly doesn't have the power to make that act, it is expressly laid out what should happen in the charter). So we need to either prove our case, or I think we will have to go down the line having everyone refuse it.
I can't step down? Huh I'm doomed! :o I really do hope there'll be an election, so that we can dodge claims that we're not really that democratic and we're just passing the delegacy between ourselves. Smile
Ah Topid got it.

And yeah, BN, that's my fear too.

I'm on board with Bels legislation. Which is rare, I know. Tongue
New Southern Army Member
Ah, but elections are timetabled/defined in the CoL not the Charter. Simple enabling bill calling a special election at x date, with an expiry clause attached at the end. It would only need the required margin for a normal bill, not the 75% charter amendments require.

Hrm, hadn't thought of that. Tongue Makes putting the line of succession in the charter kind of silly if we can get around it by moving election times to whenever the succession needs to happen.

Perfect! Big Grin
Quote:Hrm, hadn't thought of that. Tongue Makes putting the line of succession in the charter kind of silly if we can get around it by moving election times to whenever the succession needs to happen.

Perfect! Big Grin

That is the exact precedent I don't want to set.  The Charter very specifically states that there will be a line of succession past the Vice Delegate that is further regulated in the Code of Laws.  While I support some kind of special election in this case we need to make sure this isn't going to be something that happens every time a Delegate resigns.

I also strongly suggest the legislation that is drafted be ran past HEM as the Chief Justice publicly to make sure it is legal and that it is stated as such by the Court.