Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Elections
There isn't much need to make new precedent, all the precedent we need is there. It doesn't have to even be special elections. We don't need to amend the charter to say what month elections happen in, that's all in the laws of the Assembly. Even if a special election isn't legally permissable there is no concievable reason to say it is illegal to move elections to June, October, and February, cycle and then put it back in July. Tongue

It may not be intended but unless we abandoned textualism and chose to interpret laws based on the makers intent I can't imagine why that would not be in line with the Charter. Surely we have the power to change the times we set by the same method we set them.

O:-)
Quote:There isn't much need to make new precedent, all the precedent we need is there. It doesn't have to even be special elections. We don't need to amend the charter to say what month elections happen in, that's all in the laws of the Assembly. Even if a special election isn't legally permissable there is no concievable reason to say it is illegal to move elections to June, October, and February, cycle and then put it back in July. Tongue

It may not be intended but unless we abandoned textualism and chose to interpret laws based on the makers intent I can't imagine why that would not be in line with the Charter. Surely we have the power to change the times we set by the same method we set them.

O:-)

That was the precedent I was speaking of.  Moving elections just because we can isn't exactly something I am a fan of.
Right, I think we need to stick with the election cycle. Simply moving them because we can is a bad play.
And I think not having elections, and just passing the delegacy to Hile is a bad play in this specific case. The worst play.
>.<
I agree as well, we need to wait until elections IMO.
Quote:I agree as well, we need to wait until elections IMO.

The issue is B&N wants to be relieved of the Delegate role by the first week of June.  This is of course his choice and I support that as he made it clear he didn't want to serve as Delegate this term.

This situation is one that could not have been thought of when drafting the Charter and laws.  Nobody imagined Milograd would coup and that B&N would be put in the Delegate seat because of that.  Whatever is decided we need to make sure that it is 100% legal and is made clear this is a one time deal based on the circumstances.
We also have to remember that neither you nor B&N were elected to your current offices.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]
[center]Member of The Committee for State Security[/center]
[center]Forum Administrator[/center]

[center][Image: BelschaftShield2.png][/center]

[center]Ex-Delegate (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Security (x2)[/center]
[center]Ex-Chair of The Assembly (x3)[/center]
[center]Ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs (x2)[/center]
Quote:We also have to remember that neither you nor B&N were elected to your current offices.

I understand that as such this is an awkward situation.
Quote:The issue is B&N wants to be relieved of the Delegate role by the first week of June.  This is of course his choice and I support that as he made it clear he didn't want to serve as Delegate this term.
I'm sorry if I'm making it difficult for you guys. I thought we can have elections soon after a month, like in March when Milograd gave me the delegacy. Yes, I am aware that I am not really elected to the delegacy, and thus it would be nice if we are going to hold elections. Anyway we can as long as it's legal, give the new people a chance to taste what democracy in TSP offers.
Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
So, here is the draft mass TG that I will send later this week:

Quote:Hello!

It has been three weeks since we had regained our region back. It is very heartening to see the region free once more, TSPers rebuilding our region, and people participating in our beloved democracy. We are moving to a new era for TSP, to a brighter and better future.

I believe that my work as Delegate is done. Ever since taking on the helm of the TSPers' fight to take their region back, I had made it clear that I will be here to return the power back to the people. Take the delegacy from Milograd, let the region settle down, lay down the seeds to rebuild, and pass on the delegacy to someone chosen by the people of the South Pacific.

Henceforth, I am resigning the Delegacy of the South Pacific, to be effective once the region has chosen my successor. The Chair of the Assembly, Belschaft, is drafting an enabling law to allow an election to take place. After which, we are going to have delegate elections so that you can choose the next person to lead the South Pacific.

In order join in the deliberations and to vote in the next search for the Delegate of the South Pacific, I would like to invite you to our forum:

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/'>http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/</a>

Apply for citizenship here:

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/4695-citizenship-applications/'>http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/4695-citizenship-applications/</a>

With the acquisition of citizenship, you get a vote and a seat in our legislature, the Assembly of the South Pacific. You will also be able to vote in our regular elections and special elections.

Thank you very much! Smile

Brutland and Norden

Comments? Suggestions? Also, I think we need to get the Enabling Law up.
So, should I release the statement now?
Go ahead. I'll make sure to suspend the seven days procedure in the enabling law so that anyone who joins as a result can actually participate.
[center]Rex Imperator Princeps Tribunicia Potestas Pater Patriae Dominus Noster Invictus Perpetuus[/center]

And sent. Smile
I think the enabling law should be posted now.
My apologies, IRL has got on top of me. I'll try and get it up after I've slept.