• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Discussion
Ima store this here till the 18th

Nation in the South Pacific*: Panora
Nation name*: Panora
Desired Plot*: 221
Capital*: Panora City
Location of Capital*: on the coast
Customization: <a class="bbc_url" href="http://imgur.com/ErbZxfU">http://imgur.com/ErbZxfU</a>

Not everything in the pic may be able to be done, and thats fine
When I first saw the map last night I was simply stunned - what a work of art!  I have 'selected' an area but will have to wait for the 'land rush' to start on the 18th November Smile

Love the map and the effort that was put into making it! Big Grin 

I'm looking to claim one of the islands, most probably #303.  Smile

Can't wait for the "Land Rush". Good Luck guys! :lol:

Good job on the map!

I really like its details and the idea.

I've got quick questions, but I'm too lazy to think of how shall I type them.

Awesome Map

Deputy Minister of the Regional Affairs of the Communications and Integration Agency (March 8, 2014-March 20, 2014)
The mapping is, far and above, the best I have ever seen, B&N.  You've outdone yourself this time.  I also love the fact that there's already spaces for us to chose, as opposed to having to draw ourselves in.  I believe this is most fair.

[center][Image: PsIIP8Z.jpg][/center]

[center]Surfer's Paradise[/center]
[center]Where the surf's always up, the wahine are beautiful, and the brahs got swag![/center]
I thought I'd share some interesting little astronomy tidbits about the TSP planet I calculated.

Assuming the TSP surface gravity is the same as on Earth (9.81m/s<sup>2</sup>), and the gravitational constant remains the same, its planet:
  • Has a radius twice that of Earth
  • Mass four times that of Earth
  • Half the density of Earth
[Image: TSPPlanet_zps29ba15af.jpg]

And some additional notes for us astronomy nerds: 

• Escape is greater than Earth's by a factor of the square root of 2. (approximately 15.8km/s)
  • Geostationary orbit (assuming day length is the same as Earth) has a radius of approximately 66930.0km, for an altitude of ~41446.0km.
  • Geostationary orbit has an orbital velocity of approximately 4880.61m/s
Quote:I thought I'd share some interesting little astronomy tidbits about the TSP planet I calculated.

Assuming the TSP surface gravity is the same as on Earth (9.81m/s<sup>2</sup>), and the gravitational constant remains the same, its planet:
  • Has a radius twice that of Earth
  • Mass four times that of Earth
  • Half the density of Earth
That is a cool program! What is that called?

Anyway, what is the scale that you used? I used a 1 pixel = 2 km for the TSP map. Smile

Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
It's a program called universe sandbox.

I took that scale and estimated the size of 10 degrees at the equator. I then extrapolated for the whole circumfrence. AAftr dividing by pi I got the estimated radius, approximately twice that of earth, wwitin reasonable error. (Though in retrospect I notice that you gave us exactly 90 degrees of longitude which gives us 40,000/pi km radius)

The calculations from there were just basic physics. Scale adjustments using the gravity formula, substitution into the centripedal equation used for geostationary orbit. And estimating the escape velocity using ratios.
As for the image (stuck on mobile due to power outage, can't edit), I expanded the width to 20000px, after noticing we have 45E to 45W.

Vertical took a bit more work. (The one in the image is off by over 10 degrees. XD) But eventually I expanded from the given 90 degrees I eventually got the 20000px by 10000px of the full thing. I had to scale it down because of program issue. The one in the image was 2000x1000. Largest I've successfully tried is 10000x5000.
Is that program free? No registration or download whatsoever?

In TSP since Sunday 13th October 2013

Citizen since 14th March 2014

Stuff about me:

http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/...tem-scope/

http://solarsystemscope.com/

[spoiler=Coat of Arms][Image: YPjJqFN.png][/spoiler]

In association with:

[spoiler=TSSSOSA][Image: n5LOrbM.png?1679][/spoiler]

Half the mass would probably mean that our world has a serious lack of metals?

[Image: 1ad3869e-07b4-47f3-8bf1-247c729479d6.jpg]

Quote:Half the mass would probably mean that our world has a serious lack of metals?
Not half the mass, half the density. There'd theoretically be 4x as much metals as on Earth, though just less concentrated.
I've been meaning to ask, how exactly did you make this map, B&N? I'm just curious.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I'm also curious about how you did the election map in the news thread.

Quote:I've been meaning to ask, how exactly did you make this map, B&N? I'm just curious.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I'm also curious about how you did the election map in the news thread.
Hand (or rather, mouse-drawn) using MSPaint, layered over in an ancient photo editing program, edited using an easy-to use program, then back to MSPaint for compilation.

The electoral maps in the news thread are also made in the same way: base maps hand-drawn using MSPaint, and then layered over using a photo editing program.

It's kind of a long process, but if there'd be any willing apprentices to train, perhaps we can arrange for a tutorial/training thingie when things get lighter for me. Wink
Brutland and Norden Factbook (work in progress - check for updates!) Smile
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farengeto" data-cid="114512" data-time="1390175911">

I've been meaning to ask, how exactly did you make this map, B&N? I'm just curious.

Hand (or rather, mouse-drawn) using MSPaint, layered over in an ancient photo editing program, edited using an easy-to use program, then back to MSPaint for compilation.

The electoral maps in <a class="bbc_url" href="http://forums.thesouthpacific.org/topic/5654-the-south-pacific-regional-news-ic/?p=112577">the news thread</a> are also made in the same way: base maps hand-drawn using MSPaint, and then layered over using a photo editing program.

It's kind of a long process, but if there'd be any willing apprentices to train, perhaps we can arrange for a tutorial/training thingie when things get lighter for me. Wink</blockquote>
I was expecting some sort of generator or program somewhere in there.

You sir are truly amazing.
It's nowhere near done yet, but I thought I'd share a little project I'm working on. My nation on the map was too small to do too what I'd like with, so I'm increasing its size. Credits to B&N for all the original stuff, of course.  Wink

[Image: Farengetomap_zps460a0ea8.png]

Once I have the general national layout done I plan to make some political map additions.

At Kringalia's request, I'm making a brief tutorial on the basic process used to make this.

Not sure where to share these, but here's my completed enlarged Farengeto map.

First up we have the topographical map:

[Image: FarengetoTopographicalMap_zps3b18ac1d.png]

Next up is the political map. But first, a quick explanation.

Mainland Farengeto, home to 22.6 million, is split into 5 provinces, which are further sub-divided into 20 regions. Each region contains one or more electoral constituencies for the Farengeto Senate which represent roughly 100,000 people each, for a total of 226 seats.

The Farengeto colony known as the Cephio Isles, a mere 301 km<sup>2</sup>, has a population of roughly 150,000. Each of the 5 islands is its own constituency, which gives a grand total of 231 seats.

[Image: FarengetoPoliticalMap_zpsf7db142b.png]

Republic of Kringalia

Iustitia Pro Populo

It's not the best map, but here goes a larger map of Kringalia, its provinces and their respective capitals. Kringalia has 16 provinces and one capital district, each having it's own government. The law of the Kringalian Congress dictate the basic structure of three branches and a unicameral legislature that each province must follow, but provinces can otherwise determine their own procedures and institutions of governance.

[Image: AUW6l0p.png]

Kris Kringle

Vice Delegate of the South Pacific - 
Forum Administrator
Deputy Minister of Communications and Integration (former) - Minister of Foreign Affairs (former)

Kringle's What? Moment: [01:32] Then let's have breakfasts at night between the Delegate and Vice Delegate
And one more thing I've spent way too much time on...

[Image: FarengetoTopography_zps942a0aa6.png]Behold! Farengeto rendered in full 3D using Sketchup!

Vertical scale was increased 20x, it's rather flat at 1:1.

How did you guys make the Wikimedia style maps?

The
Coalition
of
the
South
Pacific

Ambassador to 10000 Islands, Europeia, and Canada

Former ambassador to The East Pacific

Quote:How did you guys make the Wikimedia style maps?

I used PowerPoint. It's a bit complicated, but basically just drawing shapes and knowing which one to put in the background and which one on top. I enlarged B&N's original map for reference and started drawing over it. I think Farengeto will publish a tutorial soon, so that should help.
Kris Kringle

Vice Delegate of the South Pacific - 
Forum Administrator
Deputy Minister of Communications and Integration (former) - Minister of Foreign Affairs (former)

Kringle's What? Moment: [01:32] Then let's have breakfasts at night between the Delegate and Vice Delegate
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="UnitedSolarRepublic" data-cid="115948" data-time="1391729849">
<div>

I used PowerPoint. It's a bit complicated, but basically just drawing shapes and knowing which one to put in the background and which one on top. I enlarged B&N's original map for reference and started drawing over it. I think Farengeto will publish a tutorial soon, so that should help.

</div>
</blockquote>

Alright, thanks.
The
Coalition
of
the
South
Pacific

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="UnitedSolarRepublic" data-cid="115948" data-time="1391729849">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

Actually, I have another question. So I don't have Powerpoint or Office, and I can't buy it, do you have any suggestions for alternative programs?
The
Coalition
of
the
South
Pacific