Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Discussion
Counties and cities of Sedunn, made in paint. Wanted to crowd the map even more Tongue

[Image: sedregnrflstdb.png]     [Image: sedregutsd.png]

Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kris Kringle" data-cid="115955" data-time="1391738447">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="UnitedSolarRepublic" data-cid="115948" data-time="1391729849">

How did you guys make the Wikimedia style maps?

I used PowerPoint. It's a bit complicated, but basically just drawing shapes and knowing which one to put in the background and which one on top. I enlarged B&N's original map for reference and started drawing over it. I think Farengeto will publish a tutorial soon, so that should help.
</blockquote>

Actually, I have another question. So I don't have Powerpoint or Office, and I can't buy it, do you have any suggestions for alternative programs?</blockquote>
I use a free program called GIMP. It's got much of the functionality of photoshop, without the cost. For those without experience there might be a bit of a learning curve.

You can also use another free program called Paint.NET. It's simpler, though I don't have much experience.

Or if you want the bare basics just use the included Microsoft Paint. It's very simple though, and only supports one layer (My Farengeto map has over 50 individual layers between all of its variants, the largest usage being text). If you just want a basic designing, this is the program.

I'll try and get a basic design tutorial up this weekend. I'll explain how to get your nation into a larger Image area, how to do the terrain, basic political additions, and maybe I'll try and get into the electoral result maps I'll reveal soon.